Online car quote: minimum questions needed

I

iqc

Wondering if there are any brokers/sales staff on AAM that can answer a question or two for me.

I've compared a number of online insurance websites, and some, like 123.ie or hiberniandirect.ie ask the minimum number of questions, whilst others ask over 40 question to simply get a quote.

My question is simply this:
  • What is the minimum amount of questions that you (or the quote system you use) need to give a quote?
  • Is there a standard across all companies or does it vary?
Thanks a mill.

in theory a prudent underwriter will ask as many questions as he can to satisfy himself that the risk is good.

most basic questions would be name of proposer; address; relationship to registered/actual owner of car; driving experience of all drivers; occupation and proposed use of vehicle; size of engine; details of claims convictions penalty points of all drivers; ncb and declaration that information given is correct.

also remember that insurance is written on the basis of ' utmost good faith'. That means if you think that something shoudlbe disclosed to underwriter, then disclose it anyway.

Ravima said:
in theory a prudent underwriter will ask as many questions as he can to satisfy himself that the risk is good.

most basic questions would be name of proposer; address; relationship to registered/actual owner of car; driving experience of all drivers; occupation and proposed use of vehicle; size of engine; details of claims convictions penalty points of all drivers; ncb and declaration that information given is correct.

also remember that insurance is written on the basis of ' utmost good faith'. That means if you think that something shoudlbe disclosed to underwriter, then disclose it anyway.

Thanks for that Ravima. However, my question relates specifically to online quotes and the minimum number of questions needed. A prudent website will ask as few questions as possible to satisfy their customers.

For example, I don't see any reason the name of the person is required at all for the initial quote, likewise address.

This topic has been addressed to some extent in another thread somewhere on the site.

Two reasons strike me as to why they want more information than you feel is necessary:

1. The more info they get at the quotation stage, the quicker they can provide cover if you decide to proceed.
2. They have your info on file for the future (if you decide to use them again, or for marketing purposes).

If you object to the way in which they are using your data, you have rights under data protection legislation.

I suppose where I'm coming from is purely from a customer standpoint.
  • Insurance is just a product which I want to buy.
  • I want to quickly compare prices on different sites.
  • Filling out forms online is an arduous process that takes time.
  • If I fill out the same information on 7-8 different websites to get the best quote, it's going to take me time and I'm going to get pissed off.
Give me the price quick and then I'll commit to buying. The quicker they get me the quote, the quicker I'll commit to getting cover.

Take Amazon, for example, they don't make you fill out their registration, address and credit card details until after you've made your decision to purchase.

So the question is:

What is the minimum number of questions actually needed
(rather than wanted) to get a quote (not cover) from a customer point of view

The minimum would appear to be

name and address (to see if you are on file, and your address has an impact on your quote)
type of car (make, engine size, modifications)
no. of penalty points
no of years no claims bonus
details of any claims made in past X years

Anything less would only throw up an 'indicative quote' which mightn't be much use. If you went back and provided them with more info, the quote could easily double.

Comparing Amazon to car insurance doesn't really serve much purpose as there are virtually no similarities between what you are seeking to buy.

The choice is yours-if you get frustrated filling out forms online, call them up or drop into an office. Online form filling was mildly off putting for me, but if I'm saving money, it's worth it. Any insurance I have ever taken out has been arranged over the phone and in writing. Online quotes etc. didn't work out any cheaper.

iqc said:
For example, I don't see any reason the name of the person is required at all for the initial quote, likewise address.

At a bare minimum, they would like to have a name that can use when talking to you.

The address will have an impact on the quote.

CCOVICH said:
At a bare minimum, they would like to have a name that can use when talking to you.

I'm really looking at it from an online point of view, like buying a flight all things being equal, the price is the differentiator.

iqc,

There is no mimimum. I am sure that you will find that the insurer that asks the fewest questions at the initial point of contact will have a plethora of them on the proposal that arrives out in the post asking for your signature.

A quote is just a quote until such time as all the information material to the risk has been gleaned from the proposer.

Of course there are smart asses out ther that think that because they were not asked the question at the initial point of contact then there is no need to disclose it.

Back