Online Banking - Best and Worst

Hi Suntot,

I agree with your views on UB. Does anyone know whether things will imporve at UB if their systems are fully integrated with RBS? Anyone know what RBS on line services are like?

aj

I read somewere recently that this was just the first phase of redesigning BOI's online banking. They definitely mentioned Interenational payments is in the pipeline amongst other developements, but who knows how long these will take.

Just putting in my spoke to say that I find the PTSB online interface to be fine: although I'd like to see text top-ups, self service transfers and text alerts in the next generation, what's there does the job fine...

suntot said:
I use Ulster Bank online & phone banking, not very happy with it to be honest.
The main disadvantage is that you can't log on from any computer-to use a different computer you have to call the 24 hour banking, get a shared secret, and more or less register again. Obviously this is completely useless as you can't manage funds when on holidays, away from work/home PC
Cant manage your credit card account online either,in fact you can't even get the balance online.
I used to be with AIB and thought their internet banking was excellent and made it really easy to manage funds in all accounts-credit card, current, savings etc
However I find that Ulster Bank in general give much better service than AIB so Im afraid the internet banking is just a cross i'll have to bear!

Are you still having this problem? Since the login process changed back at the end of April I am able to log on from any computer without any problems.

I am disappointed though that their redesign does not appear to have consisted of anything else apart from improving the log on process and a branding redesign there does not appear to have been any service enhancements that I can see, all the other functions remain the same.

rkeane said:
I'd recommend a move to AIB. Their online facility is very good and they offer free banking. But they also have an atm/debit card all in one which makes me think why other banks arent doing it. The free banking has rules of course but so does every bank. Including PTSB (who are rubbish). They request you stay in credit just like any other bank. Oh btw, I dont work for AIB. HEHE. I do agree about the MSMoney intergration though. That would be very handy.

PTSB were the first bank to offer free banking. The likes of AIB, BOI and UB only caught onto this idea after they started losing customers (120,000 ppl have switched to PTSB). There is an overdraft facility payable so you don't have to keep your account in credit to maintain fee free banking. Also, you don't have to make a certain amount of transactions by phone or on-line to avail of their offer either. Free banking means free banking - no ridiculous conditions attached.

Finally back to the question asked - I find PTSBs on-line banking excellent. You set up bill payment accounts on-line, cancel SOs/DDs and transfer funds between accounts. And no, I don't work for PTSB either. Just after years of thankless (and expensive) banking with BOI and AIB its nice to discover a bank that actually wants your business.

Hel_n said:
PTSB were the first bank to offer free banking. The likes of AIB, BOI and UB only caught onto this idea after they started losing customers (120,000 ppl have switched to PTSB). There is an overdraft facility payable so you don't have to keep your account in credit to maintain fee free banking. Also, you don't have to make a certain amount of transactions by phone or on-line to avail of their offer either. Free banking means free banking - no ridiculous conditions attached.

Finally back to the question asked - I find PTSBs on-line banking excellent. You set up bill payment accounts on-line, cancel SOs/DDs and transfer funds between accounts. And no, I don't work for PTSB either. Just after years of thankless (and expensive) banking with BOI and AIB its nice to discover a bank that actually wants your business.
But what I like about AIB is that the terms they require are an incentive to keep a close eye on your bank account.

Hel_n said:
PTSB were the first bank to offer free banking. The likes of AIB, BOI and UB only caught onto this idea after they started losing customers (120,000 ppl have switched to PTSB).
Is this true? When I left BOI a number of years ago NIB Freebank was all I could find. I think Freebank has been around for about 10 years.

yella said:
Is this true? When I left BOI a number of years ago NIB Freebank was all I could find. I think Freebank has been around for about 10 years.

You are correct, but i think that Hel_n probably meant that PTSB were the first to introduce free banking that did'nt require you to keep a credit balance in your current account.

Ulster Bank are currently upgrading all their systems, their teller system is being done at the moment. Stick with them - best service imo. PTSB should take a leaf out of their books. Was in my local branch the other day when it opened and I was first in the branch to conduct a very simple transaction. No one appeared at there desks for at least 3 mins. If they open to the public at 10am then there shoudl be someone there to serve you. Its always the same with them. Queues are crazy, very few staff that know what they are doing and in general they don't seem to give a toss about the people in the queue. Am glad I only have to go in on a very rare occasion.

I've been with AIB for years and have used their 24h telephone and Internet service since it started. I am completely t'd off with their phone service because frankly the people on it can do nothing except tell you your bank balance which you could get online anyway - waste of space. If you ring your branch as instructed by the telephone service then it takes ages to get through to anyone although they are very helpful if you do manage it.

The main problem with AIB's online service is you cannot make an email enquiry. In theory there is a secure email service but in fact this only works one way - for them to send you marketing crap - so I had to ask them to switch it off again.

I feel in exactly the same position that I was in 15 years ago in the UK with Barclays. My very good local branch has been merged into another - clearly AIB don't care about the 15 year relationship and their offerings aren't that great. So why should I care about them? 5 years ago I had a good branch with people that understood me and my needs. Now we're apparently in the Internet age so fine, I'll switch. Especially as the Maestro card is such a complete waste of space, you cannot even set up paypal on it, you have to get their ridiculously expensive Be credit card to make any Internet payments apart from Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

From this thread I get that PTSB and NIB are fairly good if you like to bank online and I see others mentioning Rabobank who are currently advertising strongly.

Can people who use these three tell me:

1. Can you get a preset overdraft facility on an online current account? I have always kept a facility on the AIB account just in case of accidents.

2. Does anyone know can you get historical exchange rates (I need to occasionally know eg what was the sterling rate on such and such a date for my accounts) either by Internet or phone?

3. Do they bother to respond sensibly to email queries?

4. Any problems if you want to have your credit card with another company? The credit card offers in Ireland seem to be so bad in terms of interest rates if you are someone who pays off the card regularly... seems like you have to mix and match because there isn't a bank that does online half way well which also does a decent credit card offering...

Thanks for any advice anyone has. The main reason people don't change banks more in this country is the sheer horror of trying to get a response by phone or email from any of them in order to decide where to move to!

All the best

Imogen

Hi Imogen,

Just on your query on historic fx rates. This link will put you through to a site which gives historic rates, just select the dropdown for markets and select forex, then next box dropdown 4 currency pairing etc. I know the site is Russian, but is fine to use.

I don't believe historic prices are on any Irish sites, but in any case they may well be "rate board" rates, so not ideal.

Back