Old Legislation

kappar

I study Law and we are allowed to take legislation into the exam with us. I am looking to get hold of legislation the post 1922 legislation is easy I can photocopy them in the library, buy them at Government Publications or print from the web. It's the pre-1922 that is making things hard. Government Publications don't sell it, we're not allowed photocopy it from books or print from the web because it would be an infringement of copyright law apparently.

We can photocopy the official replica acts in the library but because some of these acts are so old they're pretty hard to get your hands on. So my question is does anyone know of anywhere that sells these acts?

I said I'd try the UK stationary office but I doubt they'll have some of them because they weren't in force in the UK or were repealed. I really feel that the Irish Government Publications should have to sell all the legislation that is in force surely people have a right to access it?

Anyway in case anyone's interested some of the Legislation I am after is:-

Statute Quia Empores 1290 (18 Edw. 1 cc 1,2)
Statute of Mortmain 1279 (7 Ewd. 1 St. 2)
Statute De Donis Conditionalibus 1285 (13 Ewd. 1 c. 1)
Statute of Frauds (Ireland) 1695 (7 Will. 3 c. 12)
Statute of Uses (Ireland) 1634 (10 Chas. 1 sess. 2, c. 1)
Conveyancing Act 1881 (44 & 45 Vict. c. 41)
Landlord and Tenant (Ireland) Act 1860
Settled Land Act 1882 (45 & 46 Vict. c. 38)

kappar said:
we're not allowed photocopy it from books or print from the web because it would be an infringement of copyright law apparently.
Does the [broken link removed]not apply here — particularly given the age of the materials? :confused:

DrMoriarty said:
Does the [broken link removed]not apply here — particularly given the age of the materials? :confused:
Well that's what I would of thought. On my reading of that it seems to cover it. Our land law lecturer also lectures Intellectual Property so might be just super-cautious. He said we could copy official texts because these wouldn't be copyright protected- but we can't use the work of someone else that has re-typed these acts.

My own experience of working on old (non-legal) texts would suggest that it's the definition of 'use' that's important. It's not as though you were looking to re-publish or otherwise distribute the material — if you were, then you'd certainly need written permission from the copyright holders — but surely you should be allowed to make a single copy for your own private use as a student/researcher (and sign an appropriate declaration to that effect)? I'd ask your Librarian, too — they're usually very au fait with the provisions and exemptions applicable to educational institutions.

It just seems a bit mad to expect you to sit an exam based on materials that you can't obtain a copy of for private study...(?)

Back