Old AIB shares

guerngirl

Hi, does anyone know how to find out the current value of some old 1980s AIB shares? AIB shares are currently managed by a company called computer share but the investor reference umbers they are looking for do not match the share cert numbers on the AIB 1980s share cert so I can’t check their current value. Thank you.

Hi guern

They are worth virtually nothing.

AIB was close to going under so they issued billions of new shares at a very low price to the government, which effectively diluted existing shareholders to nothing.

Brendan

In 2017 they issued one new share for every 250 old shares you held. You should have got a share certificate for the new shares.

If you had 1,000 old shares, today you have 4 new shares.

The price is €3.81 per share today, so your holding would be worth €15.24

Computershare should have been able to tell you this.

Brendan

Brendan, thank you, this is so helpful. That answers my question fully. Much appreciated.

In case you don't know it already, it may be possible in this case to claim a CGT loss and offset it against a future capital gain under the "assets of negligible value" rules. Search for info about it on Revenue if necessary.

In case you don't know it already, it may be possible in this case to claim a CGT loss and offset it against a future capital gain under the "assets of negligible value" rules. Search for info about it on Revenue if necessary.
Thanks I didn’t know that. Very helpful.

Back