OK to put utility room upstairs?

Toby

Anyone have an opinion on putting a washer and dryer upstairs in a semi-d? Space is tight downstairs. Thanks.

Proposed site of laundry room is between bathroom and a closet and theres a guest bedroom on other side of the closet so noise shouldn't be a problem. Probably run it mostly in daytime anyway. I'm more bothered by the noise of a washing machine in the kitchen to be honest. Most of our laundry originates upstairs so it should be very handy. Not sure why more people don't do it?

Toby said:
Proposed site of laundry room is between bathroom and a closet and theres a guest bedroom on other side of the closet so noise shouldn't be a problem. Probably run it mostly in daytime anyway. I'm more bothered by the noise of a washing machine in the kitchen to be honest. Most of our laundry originates upstairs so it should be very handy. Not sure why more people don't do it?

Washing machines and dryers tend to vibrate very badly as they age/ware we had a dryer upstairs in a box room back in the renting days and we had to stop using it because of the noise/vibration that travelled through the ceiling and drove us mental....but hey if your not going to be there while its going on then it ain't so bad I suppose.

Good Luck ;)

Thats a valid concern Dobber22. I wonder is there any way you can fix them in place, pad the floor under them or something to make vibration less of a problem?

Toby said:
Thats a valid concern Dobber22. I wonder is there any way you can fix them in place, pad the floor under them or something to make vibration less of a problem?

We had a machine that rocked like Rod Stewart, looked a bit like him too but anyway I used a timber wedge between the top of the machine and the counter top and that machine never rocked again much quieter now.
The End.

God bless happy endings ;)

1. Your neighbours may not be too happy about equipment they can hear in their bedrooms.

2. Some of that stuff is heavy, do you know if the upstairs floors can take vibrating loads?

3. I suspect that you'll set up vibrations which could have an impact on your ceilings (cracks?) and downstairs walls (more cracks?)

4. Do you have space for unloading / loading the machines? In a kitchen or downstairs utility room these areas tend to be tiled and therefore easy to clean.

Thanks Imperator

1. It will be in a room on the detached side of the house so neighbours won't hear anything.

2. & 3. Builder and architect don't have any concerns about putting it upstairs. Surely in apartment buildings washing machines have to be upstairs all the time so it can't cause too serious problems with cracks etc? Anyone know otherwise?

4. We're customising a room for it in a new extension so it'll have lots of space and tiles on floor to guard against leaks etc. Considering slanting floor a bit like in a "wet room" to try and make it waterproof. Since it will be customised I'd love any further tips though.

We use 'solar power' to dry the clothes. Its much handier if the washing machine is near the back door and close to the washing line.

ajapale

Toby said:

Have you thought about building a small block shed that could double as a laundry room I know people who have done it and it does look very handy indeed
that would ensure total peace and quiet without having to worry about leaks ect...

Will this room have plenty of ventilation which will be a necessity if drying clothes? We had a thread a while ago on ezBoard about a laundry room and someone was enquiring about one of these

Yes, we'll have a vent put in and a small radiator.

I don't like the idea of an outside laundry room, lots of trekking clothes around outside. I don't know why an upstairs laundry isn't the obvious place for it as thats where all our laundry originates and ends up.

Or instead of a small radiator you could consider one of those fancy bathroom towel drier type radiators if there's space.

Janet said:
Or instead of a small radiator you could consider one of those fancy bathroom towel drier type radiators if there's space.

I'm afraid those rads do not give out much heat and current models are only designed for the drying of a hand towel in mind.
There are better models coming out and some may be now for sale but they cost about 500 yoyo's+ at least this is what I was told when I went to buy one from Tubs&Tiles now tell me what is the point of buying a fancy looking towel rack that warms up but can't heat a room?
They are modern looking but pity they can't do the job everybody thinks they will do or maybe the sales rep got it wrong but I doubt it I think he was just being honest.

Interesting to hear the towel warmer rads aren't much good as we were planning on getting one in the bathroom.

Re selling the house, no plans to do so but if we did buyers could easily slot washer/dryer into the kitchen and use the "laundry room" upstairs as a nice big storage room.

I'm not sure what the big deal is with putting it upstairs. Surely in apartments people have washing machines upstairs and near bedrooms all the time. I hope I'm not missing something major but if we live with it for a while and hate it we can always move them downstairs anyway.

Hey, go for it Toby. It's only a washer and dryer and a couple of pipes, hardly going to ruin the resale value of your house (why worry about this when you're living in it anyway?).

Irish people generally have very boring and set ideas about what should go where in the house. Our houses are all hallways and garden walls.

Put your washer and dryer wherever you see fit!

Back