Office Administrator - salary?

F

Fedup

Hi all,

I've worked for 5 years in a computer services company, my job title being office administrator. I do everything from the accounts to ordering the bog roll. I answer the phones, input any bills on to computer system, create invoices, pay customers, do payroll monthly for 20 employees, order all office equipment, deal with all employees expenses, weekly update of company cashflow for managing director, plus fortnightly update of company budget. There's prob more stuff that I'm doing but can't think of it now.
I currently earn 21k. I feel overworked and undervalued. Can anyone advise me what if my salary is what I should expect for my job? Is it the average for this type of work? I honestly feel that my job title should be office manager? Should I go about trying to change my job title first (during my review) or should I just try and be happy with what I am earning?
Currently, I'm thinking about changing jobs altogether, as I would prob get almost as much money working on a line in a factory with a hell of a lot less hassle...

anyone any ideas?

thanks,

Fedup.

I think you're being considerably underpaid for the work you've qouted.
If I were you I'd put that very argument to your employer in your next review stating that you're looking for a substantial increase in salary to reflect the work you do. But that's just me. I'm probably not as well paid as I should or could be right now but I'm working on it.
I think you could earn more elsewhere...but there's also a lot to be said for working somewhere you like. It sounds like it's the wage you have the main gripe with. Maybe negotiating a decent raise would satisfy you, at least for the time being?

You might find working on a factory line a lot less hassle but also a lot more demoralising.

pay

Hi Fedup,

I wouldn't blame you for feeling underpaid - I don't know how you survive on 21K per annum. Our accounts officer gets paid close to that and she only works three hours per day. My own job title is administrative officer, but that does not include accounts - I do the usual - answer the phone, type, general run around and I get paid 10K more than yourself. I don't mean to come accross as a boast, I'm just trying to make you think that you are definitely not getting paid half as much as you should be. I think you should strongly consider either looking for a raise or a new job. Have a look on the net and see what other companies are offering. Good luck.

re

Thanks very much for all your replies. And yes, my main gripe is with my salary, I can cope with doing the job itself most of the time. I looked at the salary survey on Irish jobs, and even if I stick to my current title (which I believe to be incorrect), then the range is €26k - €30k. I would like to actually discuss this with my bosses rather than going in guns blazing demanding a rise. I'd like them to see all that I'm doing so they could re-consider my salary. My main fear is that if I go in to a review, that I will somehow get 'railroaded' into doing even more work in order to get an increase. This is not what I want, I want to get paid more for what I'm doing now.

I've read the topic 'the best way to ask for a raise', so I might follow some of the tips in that.

At least its good to know that at least some people agree that I'm on poxy money for doing what can sometimes be a v difficult job. Oh, and I should also throw in a bit of HR in to there aswell as I have to deal with all new contracts + employees problems etc. and update the health & safety docs regularly.....

I'm off to make a list of what duties I do.

One of my collegues (a friend) suggested making a list of my duties and taking it to an employment agency and seeing that job title they would put on it - do you think I could do this?

thanks!

Re: re

I would like to actually discuss this with my bosses rather than going in guns blazing demanding a rise. I'd like them to see all that I'm doing so they could re-consider my salary

Hi Fedup,

That's the way to approach it alright. You can't go far wrong with that approach. Ultimately I think this will come down to how valuable you are to the company. Given all you do and how long you've done it for I'd be surprised if they didn't cough up considerably more money. Showing them salary surveys of industry standards for the job you do might help matters also. Even if they don't, worst case scenario you know you'll get better elsewhere. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Salary review

HI Fedup,

I feel your pain - I'm in the same situation, and it's not easy to live on €21k!!

I've tried at my last 2 reviews to rectify the situation by stressing the amount and quality of work I do and the level of responsibility I have in my role. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get anything more than about €500 a year in a payrise, despite the fact that my boss recognises my contribution to the company and has said so. Apparently there is no money to pay me more (but I do the accounts and know there is!) and I knew the salary situation when I started.

I've come to the conclusion that the only solution is to leave and go elsewhere where I can earn a more competitive salary..

Good luck!
blue

Re: Salary review

A junior office admin should be on up to about 26k. Anyone with your experience should probably be getting closer to 30k, especially if you are doing payroll. That's Dublin at any rate, don't know about regional differences. If you're happy in your job and like the company then by all means do go and discuss it with your bosses. You can't underestimate the value of having a nice working environment which you enjoy working in but at the same time you giving them more value than they're paying for. If they claim they've no more money to pay out in salary to you would they be willing to finance training or similar for you? Skillsgroup, now Manpower, also used to do a salary survey on their website. If it's still there see how it compares to the one you already have.

Do try contacting a few agencies as well and see what they say (I've recently found Reed to be really good).

Back