OECD: Ireland 35th of 38 in Tax Competitiveness.

Purple

The OECD says we have high personal tax rates, a narrow VAT base and no meaningful property tax.
Estonia has the best taxation system in the OECD.

None of that is a surprise.

It's not an OECD report, it's reporting on countries in the OECD.

Though reading the Irish Times this is a very positive report!

“According to research from the OECD, corporate taxes are most harmful for economic growth, with personal income taxes and consumption taxes being less harmful,” the Tax Foundation said.

Ireland was ranked as the 4th most competitive when it came to corporate tax but the 37th and 36th most competitive when it came individual taxes and consumption taxes.

The poor ranking (only Portugal, Italy and France fared worse) was linked to the State’s relatively high income and dividend taxes “and a relatively narrow VAT base,”

So our system promotes (i.e. is less harmful to) economic growth while also having a "progressive" taxation system. That's OK to me!

[Estonia's] top score was driven by “four positive features”, including a corporate tax rate of 20 per cent; a flat 20 per cent tax on individual income that does not apply to personal dividend income; and a property tax that only applies to the value of land, rather than to the value of real property or capital.

I mean it would be nice to have personal taxation regime but not if you were lower income earner and asset-less i.e. poor/young

It's not an OECD report, it's reporting on countries in the OECD.
Yes, my mistake
Though reading the Irish Times this is a very positive report!
Yes, they have a strong left-wing bias so they would say that.
Ireland was ranked as the 4th most competitive when it came to corporate tax but the 37th and 36th most competitive when it came individual taxes and consumption taxes.

So our system promotes (i.e. is less harmful to) economic growth while also having a "progressive" taxation system. That's OK to me!
Taking everything in to account our ranking is low. Our attractive Corporation Tax rates are, it seems, cancelled out by our very unfair income tax rates.
I mean it would be nice to have personal taxation regime but not if you were lower income earner and asset-less i.e. poor/young
€38K a year is not a high income. We don't have any meaningful property tax so that helps the wealthy and punishes working people.

€38K a year is not a high income. We don't have any meaningful property tax so that helps the wealthy and punishes working people.
What's punishing working people isn't a "meaningful" property tax - residential property is already desperately scarce, partly owing to exorbitant and front-loaded development levies on new builds, and non-residential is heavily taxed in the form of rates - but unjustifiably high and often ludicrously wasteful public expenditure.

Reactions: PMU
unjustifiably high and often ludicrously wasteful public expenditure.
It's not even the high levels of spending that bothers me, it's the ludicrously wasteful bit.

The personal taxation distribution is grossly unfair, as is the way in which Welfare is distributed. I work with a guy who has a council house. He's heading off to Vegas over Christmas, he was in Disney in Florida with the kids in June and is buying a holiday home in Lanzarote. Someone tell me how our Progressive income tax and welfare system is fair.

It's not even the high levels of spending that bothers me, it's the ludicrously wasteful bit.
The wastefulness that I observed, but had little to no control over, working for several decades in the private sector would probably put public service wastefulness in the shade!

The wastefulness that I observed, but had little to no control over, working for several decades in the private sector would probably put public service wastefulness in the shade!
Possibly, but private sector waste doesn't have the same impact on public services.

If someone wants to waste their money, that's their problem. If someone wants to levy taxes to finance it, that's our problem.

The OECD says we have high personal tax rates, a narrow VAT base and no meaningful property tax.
Estonia has the best taxation system in the OECD.

None of that is a surprise.
Could you not even manage to read the title before assuming that is what you want to hear????

Back