Occasional problem changing gears

Ceist Beag

I sometimes have a problem changing gears whereby the gear stick almost gets stuck and the clutch goes limp. It usually sorts itself out if I pump the clutch frequently until the pressure builds up under the clutch again. I got this before when I was almost out of brake fluid (apparently this is used for both the brake and the clutch!) but this time there is plenty of brake fluid left. Could it be something as simple as some air bubbles or dirt in the brake fluid? It only happens occasionally and lasts for maybe 30-40 minutes and is fine then again. Could it be a problem with the clutch itself?

Sounds like you have a hydraulic clutch and air is getting into the system.

I'd suspect the master cylinder seals are going/are gone.

It's a job beyond most DIY mechanics unfortunately.

Thanks for that RS2K, I'll get it checked out in the garage. Would this be considered a big job if the seals were gone? Sorry, I haven't much of a clue about car maintenance!!

Get a quote first.

Assuming my dignosis is correct they may remove the master cylinder and fit new seals, or simply replace it. Bleed the system and away you go.

It's a simple enough job - 2 hours labour maybe? If it's a Citroen allow more. Very tricky to work on those cars.

Back