Obtaining a Work Permit

I do appreciate your nervousness about a la carte interpretations of the law, but I think there are certain times where it is understandable.

I would be more inclined to lobby/campaign for an allegedly unreasonable law to be changed than to arbitrarily break or bend it for the purposes of expediency. Otherwise where do we draw the line in terms of people deciding that certain laws are "bad" and should not apply to them? Seems to me that's the sort of attitude that ends up requiring expensive tribunals to sort out... :\

Re: Obtaining a Work Perm

Right, then. We'll agree to leave it there. What with you stamping your feet and pouting there is nothing further to maturely debate.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->That's three now, .

We had an experience like this.
A Romanian man who was working for one of our suppliers was temporarily laid off due to a fire as their premises. He was not earning and came to us for part time work. In the end it took a solicitor and a number of meetings with the department to sort out the transfer of his work permit. That was three years ago and he is still with us. Speaking as an employer I think that the present system is crazy on two counts;
Firstly the fact that the work permit is granted to the employer is discriminatory to the worker. It gives unscrupulous employers intolerable control over their employee. If their skill is required within the workforce then give them access to the entire workforce.
Secondly there is a major shortage of low and medium skilled, as well as high skilled, workers in manufacturing.
Our biggest problem is not getting work, it's getting people to do the work. And it's not about money, some of the tradesmen on our factory floor earn over 100k a year with the average being around 50-60K. The accession state migrants have been a god send for Irish manufacturing. Why not give others the same opportunities. If it were the case that they were pushing wages down or taking jobs from EU citizens I would be against it but that's simply not the case.

Back