objections to Neighbor's extension?

Ndiddy

Hi, can someone point me to what kind of extensions require planning permission and if I can object?

Its the end house of a block of small terraced homes and was hoping there was some kind of process I could use.
Thanks

I accidentally inserted the quote. .
But for what reason are you considering objecting..more info needed.

Citizens information outlines the list of exemptions, I can't post a link for some reason but this is what it says is exempt:

Generally, you will not need planning permission for:

• Building an extension to the rear of the house which does not increase the original floor area of the house by more than 40 square metres and is not higher than the house. The extension should not reduce the open space at the back of the house to less than 25 square metres which must be reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of your house. If your house has been extended before, the floor area of the extension you are now proposing and the floor area of any previous extension (including those for which you previously got planning permission) must not exceed 40 square metres. (There are also other height restrictions.)
  • Converting a garage attached to the rear or side of the house to domestic use provided it has a floor area of less than 40 square metres. Building a garage at the back or side of a house so long as it does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4 metres in height (if it has a tiled/slated pitched roof) or three metres (if it has any other roof type). This building will be exempt from planning permission once the floor area of all additional structures (both new and previously added) is limited to 25 square metres. Garages or sheds to the side of the house must match the finish of the house and may not be lived in, used for commercial purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses. The new garage should not reduce the open space at the back or side of the to less than 25 square metres.
  • Building a front porch so long as it does not exceed 2 square metres in area and is more than 2 metres from a public road or footpath. If the porch has a tiled or slated pitched roof, it must not exceed 4 metres in height or 3 metres for any other type of roof.
  • Capped walls made of brick, stone or block, wooden fences but not security fences can be erected as long as they do not exceed 1.2 metres in height or two metres at the side or rear. Gates may be built provided they do not exceed 2 metres in height. Permission is always required to if you wish to widen or create new access to the public road.
  • A central heating system chimney, boiler house or oil storage tank (up to 3,500 litres capacity).
  • Car parking spaces, garden paths etc
  • A TV aerial on the roof so long as it is less than 6 metres higher than the roof
  • A satellite dish (up to 1 metre in diameter, and no higher than the top of the roof) at the back or side of the house (a dish on the front needs planning permission). Only one dish may be erected on a house.

The most common one is if its less than 40sq metres. If they do need planning permission, they will need to display a sign in front of the property and you should be able to view the plans on the county council website - google where you are and planning. You'll be able to object within a specific timeframe.

You'll also be able to see recent applications and what has been granted to get an idea of what grounds to object. You can't just object because you don't want it to be there/it will block your light. In all honesty, at the moment, the vast majority of planning applications seem to be approved due to the shortage of housing so if its a block of small terraced homes its v likely the planners will be in favour of making the house larger and more 'liveable' in.

If you outline what your specific concerns are though I'm sure people can point you in the right direction

One thing to note, if its a block of small terraced homes its possible they won't have 25 square metres left after the extension and may not realise this means they will need planning. Again, enforcement at the local council are the ones to check in with but always worth talking to them first to ask what their plans are.

Exempted Development (what can be done without planning) is detailed in the legislation here. Most LA's publish a guide too, SDCC for example.

If the development is indeed exempt and built fully in compliance with the building regs, then there is likely little you can do. If planning was required and was granted, you are already too late to submit an observation, and are limited to making a complaint if planning was not complied with.

Back