Health Insurance Nursing Home Fees increased of the blue and other issues

Zachary

Hi Folks

I’m looking for some information, basically I look after a relatives affairs and her Nursing Home wrote today to inform us that they will be increasing the annual fees by over 3000 per year they give the reason as increased running costs. Do I have any room to dispute this?

Secondly every two months my relative gets billed for medications and extras these bills vary from 100 - 500 euro, nothing is run by the family beforehand and the items they buy vary aswell so I am wondering is this standard practice when being billed for medications/extras? I’m getting a little suspicious that she is being overcharged for items which she does not need.

Finally it’s quite distressing to the family to receive a bill for an additional 3000 per year on top of a sky high annual fee on which she gets no assistance from Fair Deal because she was over the threshold, someone mentioned to me it coukd be cheaper if she transferred her assets to the family and then we pay her fees and claim tax relief? Does that sound legitimate?

Thank you for any input/information you may have

Secondly every two months my relative gets billed for medications and extras these bills vary from 100 - 500 euro, nothing is run by the family beforehand and the items they buy vary aswell so I am wondering is this standard practice when being billed for medications/extras? I’m getting a little suspicious that she is being overcharged for items which she does not need.
Ask for a detailed breakdown. Check out the list and make an informed decision on what you agree with and what you don't. There are extra charges for say nail cutting, hair dressing which I would say is acceptable but my mother was given lots of 'natural goodness' drinks which we put a stop to as it was generally pure dribble and over-priced. I'm not sure you can do much about how honest they are with how much she gets of some extras but by being pro-active you can make them think twice of any extras which may 'slip' in there..

Back