NTL broadband, should I switch?.

S

Sludge

I have been using ESAT broadband for the past year and my contract is due to expire shortly. This week I got a letter from NTL offering broadband facilities. The package apperas to be better than Esats offering 750 kbps as compared to about 512 kbps from Esat but only about €4 per month cheaper. There's also 3 months free subscription. I am already wired up for NTL with a spare connection already in place.
The problem I have with NTL and Cablelink is their past history when dealing with piped T.V. problems. They were awful to deal with.
Has anyone an NTL broadband connection and can they recommend them.

I have it and I can recommend it. Any problems I've had with it (which have been few I might add) have been solved much quicker and more efficiently than TV problems I've had with them.

I would jump at the chance to get broadband while ditching my largely unused home phone line (and the fixed rental costs that result). Unfortunately ntl: are not offering cable broadband in my area yet and I'm not yet sold on Irish Broadband's service or having an aerial stuck on my chimney yet... :\

Is a landline necessary?

I agree. I had two phone lines in to my house. One for phone and one for internet. When broadband came along we cancelled one of the phone lines and now use a split line for phone and broadband. However I am now thinking along the lines as you suggest. Go with NTL and dump the landline thus saving on the line rental. Using a pay as you go mobile phone. It might even focus me more on non productive phone conversations. I heard that as of September that I will be able to switch companies for my landline rental. This should cause increased competition and we may even see prices drop.

Is a landline necessary?

> I heard that as of September that I will be able to switch companies for my landline rental. This should cause increased competition and we may even see prices drop.

Hopefully but at least initially it will probably depend on the wholesale price put on line rental by eircom... :\

ntl starter broadband

Ntl have a 'starter broadband' 300 kbps for 25 quid a month. Is this any good or should one go for the 750kbps instead?
nbc

Back