NSP v AVC: for mother whose employment has fluctuated frm full time, pt time, no time

Mommah

How do NSP v AVC compared when a woman/mother is the client.

Reason I ask is that, I have fluctuated from full-time, to not working, to part-time, back to full time and probably will go part-time again.

If I happen to retire on a part-time salary have I wasted all my contributions on my full time salary?? Given that it is your final salary which dictates your benefits, not your contributions????

Re: NSP v AVC: for mother whose employment has fluctuated frm full time, pt time, no

Hi Momah,

Ive split your question off from a long old thread.

Are you in the same employment all along?

For instance I have come across nurses who have worked in public service and then worked in the private hospitals, have spent some time working abroad and have spent some time working with agencies ect.

In general DB schemes such as in the public service favours lifers who build up 40 years continuous full time service whos careers start with low salaries but end up on high salaries.

These DB schemes do not favour people with atypical employment patterns such as part time, women who take time for raising families, peoples whos income is made up of commission or other nonsuperannuationable components or people who step down salary toward the end of their careers.

aj

Re: NSP v AVC: for mother whose employment has fluctuated frm full time, pt time, no

Are you in the same employment all along?

For instance I have come across nurses who have worked in public service and then worked in the private hospitals, have spent some time working abroad and have spent some time working with agencies ect.

That would describe me perfectly.
5 years abroad or private and 6 years at home.
So 9 years in public pensionable service to date.
Aspire to part-time work in longer term, but will fluctuate depending on hubby's work situation.

These DB schemes do not favour people with atypical employment aj

Thing is my work pattern is very typical of women in the healthservice.
Women make up 80% or more of the healthservice.

So this pattern is not at all atypical for the majority of healthservice employees. I guess the pension system is not designed for the female workforce??;)

Back