Now what do I do

pennypincher

I'm due to both tax and insure my car by this Friday.So I started gathering my Licence,NCT etc today to renew both only to find my licence is missing,searched everywhere but couldn't find it.What do I do now....once my insurance runs out Friday I won't be able to get to work... legally.

your local Garda station also has a form for replacing lost/stolen licenses. Just bring down another form of identification with you and they'll stamp the form for you. You then send this off to get a new drivers license.

There is an entire document on :

If you live in the DUblin area, you need to send in your completed application form to the Driver Licensing Section at Dublin City Council (Chancery Street, Dublin 1). To my knowledge, they will not re-issue a new driving licence to you on the spot - given the volume of applciations, they normally take about 10 working days to process a new licence.

If you live outside of the Dublin area, bring your completed application form to the Motor Tax office of your local authority. They may be able to re-issue you with a new licence faster than this.

Since your motor insurance will expire at the end of this week - a third option is to contact your Motor Tax office and tell them you have lost your licence. They may agree to issue a letter to state you hold a full current driving licence for insurance purposes.

Other than that, I don't think you will have any problems once you have applied for your new licence. I have never been requested to provide evidence on an annual basis to my motor insurer that I hold a full driving licence. (Then again, I have been insured with the same insurance company for a number of years).

Hope this helps

Under the current law you must have on your possession your drivers license when you are driving...if you are stopped by the Guards you will be required to produce it on the spot.

Do you not still get a slip of paper, something like a receipt, when you apply for a new/replacement driving licence? I moved house recently so need to bring my old licence in to get the address changed (it's not a requirement but recommended I think and I have to change the address for tax anyway) - does that mean I'm expected not to drive until the new one is sent out?

Back