Now I've done it

pennypincher

Got some advice from a neighbour on how to kill the thistles in my lawn-"use roundup but only on the thistle"....tried this but all the grass around it is now going yellow along with the thistle...so now I'm going to end up with a bald patch on the lawn instead of a thistle....is there anything I can to to revive the grass!

no, its fecked!!!
get rid of the old grass, spike out the area, and some patch repair lawn seed me thinks

you could trim some grass turf from around a flower bed and fill in the bald patches but I'd water the patches and only do this after 2 weeks or so in the hope that the roundup has been flushed out of the area and that the patches have got as big as they're going to get.

Yeah, we did the same with some "weed-and-feed" two days ago. Now our front lawn (and the neighbours, as we decided to be nice and feed theirs too!) is all burnt with dark brown/black patches. Have used the stuff lots of times before and never had problems.

I guess the only solution is wait and re-seed the bald spots.

seaflower said:
Yeah, we did the same with some "weed-and-feed" two days ago. Now our front lawn (and the neighbours, as we decided to be nice and feed theirs too!) is all burnt with dark brown/black patches. Have used the stuff lots of times before and never had problems.

Similar problem, but not quite so bad as yours. I guess the dry spell just after applying the weed-and-feed caused my problem and scorched the grass - it really needs good rain to soak it in.

seaflower said:

A feed and weed burn grass tends to make a comeback in my past experience, esp after a soaking...with Roundup the problem is the roots get killed.

Tip on using roundup: mix up paste of flour (or wallpaper paste is fine also) and a dollop of roundup. Wearing gloves, 'paint' the paste on to the leaves of the weed/plant you want to get rid of; thus avoiding any overspill.

Boil a kettle of water & pour carefully on the weeds you want to remove. It cooks them in about 20 seconds flat. I tried this 2 days ago & they have shrivelled to nothing. Will have to wait to see if they recover.

Its a no chemical solution. Just water.

or perhaps we should'nt be 'doing' just that?

Or.........find a toad and cut out its third eye. Boil this with 2lbs of dried dragon-guts and half-a-teaspoon of baboon's b*****ks, with a dash of horseradish. Catch a mad March hare and march it round the cauldron (whilst boiling and bubbling and yer mates chant "Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble" etc (see Macbeth, W.Shakespeare for full recipe details). Construct a wooden platform and during full moon (or as close as possible) drip the potion whilst suspended by the skin'o'yer'teeth..........

Or you could get conventional spade, fork, trowel or rake and with a bit of conventional dig the weeds out without poisoning and burning every living thing in the vicinity.

As an ardent organic gardner with one or two worries about the planet and our ignorance, let's start small but let's start!

using feed and weed is quite hillarious. the soil must be moist but the grass shouldn't be soaking wet. It should not be raining. It should be calm and still. Rain should be on its way within 48 hours..I mean, you have to say a rosary to get all the conditions sorted before you even start!

Back