Notre Dame and France

All that hand wringing aside, they're also incredible feats of construction and very impressive to look at and it's very sad when some people decide they want to damage them.
Yep, beautiful buildings and should be protected.
As for hand wringing well, what's your view on the hand wringing about black people being killed in america at the moment? As for that hand wringing about child abuse we had here a few years back; bunch of snowflakes!

Ah Purple, seriously, I'm not going to respond to that.
Okay. I just don't see how you can describe it as hand wringing. It was of it's time but by today's standards it was gross exploitation and even then it was stunningly hypocritical from an organisation which was supposed to be helping the poor rather than exploiting them for the glorification of princes and kings.

It's already been said here a number of times. It was of it's time. If you think this way of any impressive building from 500+ (1000+ in many cases) years ago then behind that impressive building is a story of exploitation and hardship. I don't personally think there is much to be got in us getting upset about that now.
Comparing that with the black lives matter movement or child abuse, really Purple I expect better from you.

It's already been said here a number of times. It was of it's time. If you think this way of any impressive building from 500+ (1000+ in many cases) years ago then behind that impressive building is a story of exploitation and hardship. I don't personally think there is much to be got in us getting upset about that now.
Comparing that with the black lives matter movement or child abuse, really Purple I expect better from you.
I took issue with you characterising a point about the hypocrisy inherent is an organisation founded on the ideal of treating everyone fairly building cathedrals as hand wringing. I expected better from you.
What used to happen to black people was thought by most to be alright at the time but we know it was inherently wrong. The "ah, sure that's just the way it was" argument explains why things happen but it doesn't justify them and it doesn't make them right. Seeing the exploitation which was inherent in those Cathedrals simply shows how much better and more developed our morality is in our modern secular world. Secularism has forced Christianity to be more Christian. I'm not getting upset about that, simply making a philosophical point.

I took issue with you characterising a point about the hypocrisy inherent is an organisation founded on the ideal of treating everyone fairly building cathedrals as hand wringing. I expected better from you.
Touché! In other times I would suggest we have a pint together and move on eh! :p

Back