Notice

E

Emmac1

Hi

I am working in a company for 6 years and I want to hand in my notice. I have checked OASIS and the minimum notice required for this length of service is 4 weeks. Is this in the absensce of a signed contract which states otherwise or does this over-ride a contract?

My contract states that I have to give one weeks notice and this was signed in 1998 when I joined and has never been updated or changed.

Which one should I go with?

Are you sure that you're not confusing the statutory periods of notice that an employer must give an employee

rather than the other way around?

Seems to me that one week's notice on your part is all that is required (based on the statutory requirements as well as your contract of employment):

If you do not have a provision in your contract of employment dealing with notice, the statutory minimum notice of one week will apply and this is the notice that you should give your employer of your intention to leave. The statutory minimum notice of one week, is set down in Section 6 of the Minimum Notice and Terms of Employment Act, 1973.

However it is up to you to deal with this in a more co-operative manner if giving a mere week would cause your employer any problems.

Back