Not in their name

P

piggy

I thought hard about this one before posting it, generally because they dissolve into slagging matches and because this is a particularly contentious issue on LOS. I thought that this series of articles on the BBC website were important however. I'm not a Muslim, nor do I hold any particular religious beliefs but I believe that there is a lot of Islamophobia out there which has wide ranging consequences for Ireland and the world at large - particularly in the face of the "war on terror".

BBC report: US Muslim petition rejects terror

BBC report: Analysis: Interpreting Islam

I suppose that all views that lean too far one way scare me so I thought these articles were important from the point of view that Muslims are finding a voice against what we in the west are interpreting as Islam = violence, when in actual fact, while we should obviously stand up against violent factions, we should look more closely before condemning over one billion people, many of whom live their lives in fear due to the backlash against them.

Hopefully we can get some informed and balanced views on the subject.

I wouldn't call it 'Islamaphobia', more of a hatred of Islam under the guise of protecting preceived freedom.

There is also a strong hatred of Americans brewing.
Add it to the list.

A great deal of it is about human nature. We are predisposed to war, greed, fear etc... Unless the human race is genetically modified it'll always be there. Maybe it's there for a very good reason.

Hopefully we can get some informed and balanced views on the subject

God loves people who try Piggy, but I think you are being overly optimistic on this one. Do you have a persecution complex ? What on earth makes you think the usual slagging match won't develop after about 10 posts ?

Keep fighting the good fight.

Re: .

Hi Piggy

I think the topic has been covered adequately already and there is no need to reopen the subject.

Brendan

Back