not claiming through insurance, what is best to do?

M

malvgor

I hope this is the right forum for this query...

A few nights ago my 17 year old son reversed and pranged a car.

The near side panel and bumper were slightly damaged. He informed the owners and apologised. Next day he returned to tell them his parents had advised that they seek 3 quotes for repair and that he was having to pay the cost himself. They told him no problem.

They now have given him only one quote and that is from a Car Sales Room, not a garage that does panel beating. We know this sales room out sources the repair and then puts their % on top.The quote they have retuned with is for over 1000 Euro of which 150 is for paint, the rest is labour and vat.

Could anyone tell me is there a procedure for this, if so, what?
Or are we (my son) entitled to look for another quote from a panel beaters for example?

Thank you.

there is no procedure, it all depends on the people you are dealing with. they are well within their rights to go to a main dealer to get the best job done for their car.(this is what your son's insurance firm would pay for) You have no right to ask for three quotes, this may be inconvenient for the person, I.E having to go to three different places for a price on a job that was not their fault.

Best bet is for your son to try and appeal to their good side saying he can't quite afford that much and any chance of considering an indepentant panel beater etc.

I would say pay it and move on or be prepared to have a claim on your insurance.

If someone hit me I would insist on a main dealer doing the work to be honest. You are also supposed to inform the gardai of a motor accident and you are probably supposed to notify your insurance.

When you pay get conformation that the payment is in full and final settlement of all claims arising from the accident.

Back