North Dublin, 3 -4 miles from city centre

Gordanus

Are there any affordable properties anywhere in north Dublin? Needs to be an area not too bad as have a child - but am not familiar with the nrthside at all. Sort of Kilmainham across the river. I'm assuming that it's likely to be a little cheaper than the southside. What areas should I be looking at?

East Cabra and Whitehall are good bets. You should get a two bed ex corporation house in good condition for around 350,000. Good luck.

Also Killester & Harmonstown, similar prices to those quoted above and close to the dart line.

You won't get anything in Killester for that money - you might in Harmonstown though, I don't know the area that well.

Killester has gone ballistic in terms of prices in the last few years and Donneycarney is right behind it - over 380 for a done up 2 bed. I can recommend Whitehall though - 2 bed ex corpo houses are going for around 350 in Larkhill although you might want to do a bit of work on them. It's a great area for kids - lots of schools, Hampstead Park, the park near the church is also being renovated, the Omni for the cinema, a couple of GAA clubs and DCU if you want to plan their 3rd level education already!! There's also a metro stopped planned for the area so you might want to get in before that's confirmed. I'd actuallly consider this area closer to town than the likes of Kilmainham - you can walk to Drumcondra in 15 minutes and the bus service is very good. It's also great when you're going on holidays and find the airport is only 20 mins out the road :)

I completely agree with you about the Larkhill area of Whitehall, but even here, 350,000 is quickly becoming the lower end of prices, which is incredible. Traffic congestion though can be a bit of a problem near the Swords Road junction.

Back