Non-mortar Piers

roker

I am building piers on the patio and do not want mortar showing, can anyone recommend an adhesive for brick that I can use from cartridge /Mastic gun

Bricks piled without mortar gaps can look naff...but using Tec7 or EvoStick's GripFill should do the job.

I think the mortar gap makes the brickwork look. So if it was me, and I wasn't confident in bricklaying abilities, I'd make a former from 8-10mm ply or mdf that was 10mm narrower than the pier on all sides, and use that as a guide/ template to smooth out each layer of mortar as you work your way up. So similar to what the Bricky tool does for walls.

Tec7 is probably your best option if your looking to do a "dry bond" in brickwork, it's expensive but a thin layer will do, alternatively just build them dry and fill the hollow with a cement and coarse aggregate mix (concrete) which will make the pier a bit more solid.

you could also try polybond. It is a PVA glue that also seals concrete. Most people dilute it with water and paint it on to plastered walls to stop paint flaking but if you use it neat it will bond concrete. I have used it in the past to glue broken concrete parts and last year to glue red bricks back on to a pier without having to 're do the mortar joint. It's also cheap as chips. N.B. If you have a concrete floor in a shed then dilute some in water and wash the floor with it and it will seal it.

If using PVA, use a cross-linked variety. Regular PVA won't last in external use.

If you build a 13 inch square pier there will be a 4 inch square hollow in the middle

Probably no the best of ideas to put that kind of weight on a patio though, serious accident waiting to happen.

Depends what kind of base is in and the height of piers, 13 inch piers are standard though and not terribly heavy

13 inch piers are standard though and not terribly heavy

They are when properly bonded on a suitable foundation. With the suggested concrete infill, such a pier will weight in at 200+kg for a 1m height unless using leightweight blocks. Not something you'd want falling over with children about.

Bricks don't have a hollow...

As Fr. Jack said:- "I love my Brick" :D

There's a few holes in theses ones Leo.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/Brick.jpg&imgrefurl=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick&docid=2zKHe_b2GHGzzM&tbnid=yVHJGPffe3eN4M:&vet=10ahUKEwirqobemKffAhW0tXEKHVAQDrcQMwhuKAcwBw..i&w=3456&h=2304&client=firefox-b&bih=870&biw=1280&q=brick&ved=0ahUKEwirqobemKffAhW0tXEKHVAQDrcQMwhuKAcwBw&iact=mrc&uact=8
imgres

Reactions: Leo
They are when properly bonded on a suitable foundation. With the suggested concrete infill, such a pier will weight in at 200+kg for a 1m height unless using leightweight blocks. Not something you'd want falling over with children about.

I'll take your word on the weight as I haven't heard those kinda figures since I did my apprenticeship over 30 years ago, as you also mentioned if built on suitable foundation there would be no issue.
Hopefully roker you got them built and they are still standing.

Back