Non-simultaneous Multi-room

Usjes

Hi,

I am considering getting digital TV and am wondering if it is possible to do non-simultaneous multi-room in an ad-hoc fashion. The house currently has cable points in a number of different rooms but I would not want to go to the expense of having a decoder in every room so what I am wondering is is it possible to have the digital signal fed to the currently installed coax via a splitter(s) and then to move the decoder from room to room as desired. Basically what I am asking is how portable is the decoder or is their some other technical reason why this wouldn't work ? Would the answer depend on whether I went for digital cable or digital satellite? For example, I currently have a very small portable DVD player so if I'm watching a DVD in one room and someone else wants to use the room I can just carry the player to a different room and continue watching. Presumably the digital feed is just another signal which would be connected to my existing coax segments so I could just carry the decoder from room to room as desired? Or would the splitters cause signal degradation that would affect picture quality?

Thanks,

Usjes

Back