Non regular savings account? what options open

Voodoo

I have been looking into options for a non-regular savings account, but I cannot find any good options at the moment. When I say non-regular, I do want to save every month, but I effectively want to be able to put what ever I have left in my current account into savings, so may range from €200 per month to €500 per month. The regular savings accounts dont allow you to do that!

Or am I looking at the wrong option in terms of trying to grow my monthly "leftovers". Should I be looking at something else to do with my money rather than a savings account? I have no other debt except for my mortgage so can take a little risk with this money if needs be.

I have been looking into options for a non-regular savings account, but I cannot find any good options at the moment. When I say non-regular, I do want to save every month, but I effectively want to be able to put what ever I have left in my current account into savings, so may range from €200 per month to €500 per month. The regular savings accounts dont allow you to do that!

Or am I looking at the wrong option in terms of trying to grow my monthly "leftovers". Should I be looking at something else to do with my money rather than a savings account? I have no other debt except for my mortgage so can take a little risk with this money if needs be.

I had a similar requirement recently, I opted for an eSavings account from Ulster Bank on top of a reggular savings account.

Anglo's regular savers account states that there is no minimum. You could put in anything up to €1K a month. The interest rate is currently 7.3%. Might be worth a look

[broken link removed]

Anglo's regular savers account states that there is no minimum. You could put in anything up to €1K a month. The interest rate is currently 7.3%. Might be worth a look

[broken link removed]

The product you have mentioned is a Regular Saver product.

The OP wants a non Regular Saver account.

It would appear to me that the OP is looking for flexibility in the amount hat he can save each month. As far as I'm aware you can vary the amount you pay into the Anglo Regular Savers account each month. If the OP plans to save each month it would be worth considering.

Skrooge/Fungus, thanks for the info.

How would I go about varying the amount I put into the regular savers each month? Is it simply calling them or how would I do that? Obviously it's a higher rate than the Premium Demand account that I have been looking at from Anglo...

I can agree with rmelly, I too have an e-savings account with access through my online banking. You can put in and withdraw money between accounts at the touch of a button. Very quick, very simple - I can recommend.

How would I go about varying the amount I put into the regular savers each month? Is it simply calling them or how would I do that?

Simply just wire a different amount each month (with Anglo anyway). No need to call them.

I can agree with rmelly, I too have an e-savings account with access through my online banking. You can put in and withdraw money between accounts at the touch of a button. Very quick, very simple - I can recommend.

esave or esave plus?

With esave plus you can withdraw very easily buy you will get zero interest in that month and just 0.50% interest for the first 6 months.

There are better options than Ulster unless you are happy and understand all their small T&C's.

Anglo Regular Annual Saver Account allows you to pay in as much as you like up to 1000 per month and you skip any number of months. I have one and it currently pays 7.3%. you pay in electroincally from your current account.

esave or esave plus?

With esave plus you can withdraw very easily buy you will get zero interest in that month and just 0.50% interest for the first 6 months.

There are better options than Ulster unless you are happy and understand all their small T&C's.

When I read that, I thought you meant that you only ever get 0.5% in the first six months - but you just lose the other interest for that month if you make a withdrawal in that month. For 5.5%, it looks pretty good if you don't intend to make many withdrawals. For e.g. you could make 3 withdrawals a year and still match the NR rate of 4%. In fairness, it's only second to Investec if you treat it as a 6-month fixed term account and don't make any withdrawals in that period at all....

p.s. 5.5% is only the bonus rate for the first 6 months (as you prob know but I just wanted to clarify for others)

Last edited:
Back