Non-payment of car allowance

balga

My wife has been in her current employment for about 9 months now. I recently finished some major house renovations and I have been reviewing some financials. It appears her car allowance as stipulated in contract has not been paid since her start date. Her immediate supervisor and HR have been notified. Amount in region 9.5K gross. Accept that our (well my) scrutiny of transferred pay has been very poor. I thought something was amiss, a few months ago, but assumed my calcs were out as I didn't believe the HR section of a major multi-nat could make such an elementary error. HR, matter of factly, have come back to indicate that outstanding monies will be paid in four weeks. Is it too much to request a cheque?

balga said:
My wife has been in her current employment for about 9 months now. I recently finished some major house renovations and I have been reviewing some financials. It appears her car allowance as stipulated in contract has not been paid since her start date. Her immediate supervisor and HR have been notified. Amount in region 9.5K gross. Accept that our (well my) scrutiny of transferred pay has been very poor. I thought something was amiss, a few months ago, but assumed my calcs were out as I didn't believe the HR section of a major multi-nat could make such an elementary error. HR, matter of factly, have come back to indicate that outstanding monies will be paid in four weeks. Is it too much to request a cheque?

i would normally assume that a car allowance needs to be claimed... rather than given by default....

I think car mileage hase to be claimed but car allowance is given automatically - that's how it works in my job anyway.

I would assume that the payslip your wife was receiving should include details of the car allowance. If it was not showing there then I would have questioned the payroll/HR department.

Yes, the pay slip should have listed the allowance and yes HR have been notified. Allowance owing will be paid in lump sum next pay. Cheers.

Back