Non-google search engines

Z

zag

All,

Since it looks like google no longer index ezboard sites below the forum pages we are looking for alternative search engines which might index the actuall forums.

A lot of search engines out there use google results anyway and so don't report anything different than google itself.

Can anyone recommend any non-google based search engines which we can try out ?

Cheers,

z

I tried dogpile.com using my handle as a search string:

Yahoo!: No results were found for "ajapale"
Google: Results 1-6 for "ajapale" 4 referenced aam
Overture: No results were found for "ajapale"
Ask Jeeves: No results were found for "ajapale"
Internet Finds: No results were found for "ajapale"

Not much luck there Im afraid

ajapa;e

Lycos shows 3 for 'elcato ezboard'
Alltheweb shows 89 for 'elcato ezboard' but they seem to be old
msn shows 3 for 'elcato ezboard'

It looks like most/all the search engines have stopped indexing ezboard sites.

z

Hi zag,

Im not a search engine expert but I found this discusssion interesting: It appears some ezboard users at least dont want the spiders to search their forums.

However the message baords are private, and are not spidered, because my members dont want what they talk about in the search engines, again for privacy and fear of harassment reasons.. To keep your board private,
use a robots.txt file to block all search engine spiders -
have it set to no guest viewing - require registration.
With ezboard, if you have it set to private, I would not trust it to be foolproof and keep the spiders out - I would go with your own website, where you can set up the robots.txt file to keep all spiders out.
ajapale

That link doesn't seem to work. Note that [broken link removed] can be used to tell (ask?) search engines/spiders not to index websites but I don't know of any way for individual ezBoard administrators to use this facility since the low level web server issues are controlled by ezBoard themselves. Maybe ezBoard have a robots.txt file on each of their servers which is blocking search engine indexation or something like that?

Back