Non contributory pension - problem

Staffie

My mother recently filled out a form for the non contributory pension and sent it off.

Another form (a different one) was sent out to her for filling out. Apparently the first was incomplete or something.

In the first form my mother filled out, they asked
Do you own your own home?
My mother marked 'no' to this.
Further on, in that section, they presumed because she doesn't own the home, she must be renting. She left the rest of the section blank.

She's coming from a complicated situation. My mother married in the late 70s. In the 80s my father built the family home. Their relationship went sour from the late 80s, early 90s onwards. The house was in my father's name.

My father left the family home in the late 90s. A divorce never took place. The family home where my mother and I lives is still in my father's name.

How on Earth is all that explained in a form where the only section is looking for rental details.

Due to other matters, my mother is now starting proceedings with a divorce.

I recently had to check the land register website about the family home and I have a page in relation to the family home where it says my father is owner of this land. There's other details about the family home. My mother hopes to write a letter to welfare with the form and include this page from the registar. Would this information from the land registar site be required? I don't think so. What do you guys think?

Unfortunately, I think maybe there might be another issue coming down the line and I hope I'm wrong. My parents never divorced and their separation was never formalised or legalized through solicitors. Other problems came about recently in relation to my father. He's in dire financial circumstances and he's losing the second house he bought in the 90s. My mother had no part to play in him buying a second house. In fact, he never even told her. He just left the family home as if he went to work and he didn't come back. Unfortunately he didn't move far enough away. Basically, a letter to my father recently said that because no divorce took place and the separation wasn't formalised, my mother is still his legal spouse, so she is required for signing documentation for the sale of his second house. It's a big mess and we do have a solicitor.

I'm worried social welfare might kick their heels in here and drag my father into this and access my mother's application for the pension as a couple.

My mother is still adamant of sending the property folio on the family home obtained from the land register site onto social welfare. I really don't think there is any need for that. What do you think here?

I doubt there is a need, I presume she ticked the 'separated' box, maybe just write a note with it explaining she lives in the previous marital home but it's not belong to her. Even if it was it wouldn't matter, your home is not taken into account in means tested payments.

Back