No Union

F

firsttimebuyer

Hi all

I work in a relatively small company - about 20 staff and there is no union. We have heard that there are some changes being brought in to our commission/bonus levels that, by all accounts we won't be happy with as it will mean a reduction in pay. Where do we stand? We want to prepare ourselves as a team but not sure of the legalities, for example if we decide to walk out/strike - what can we do without being fired outright? Can we start a union or is this unfeasible in such a small company?

Any input welcome

Thanks

Are these changes for the overall benefit of the company?

I don't think so, they have recently started turning a profit from this office and are trying to switch people from one set bonus scheme to a profit share but I know that for at least the next 2 years, this will not come anywhere close to our current commission levels. They have already switched one department and they are each losing out on between 2 - 3 grand per annum, our department would lose more as our current bonus scheme is higher then theirs.

It wouldn't be practical to start a union, but you could certainly consider joining a union. Take your pick from . Mind you, I guess the union may be a little cynical about your motives given that you never saw the need for fraternal support during the good times.

You could also appoint a representative informally from within the team and advise management that this person will negotiate on your behalf. Could be tough to find the individual willing to put their neck on the line.

Rainy,

"the union may be a little cynical about your motives given that you never saw the need for fraternal support during the good times."

Given the decline in the various unions membership I think you would find they would be welcomed with open arms. Mostly unions just want any opportunity to get a hold on the company and grow the membership after that - not too unlike the Shinners.

Roy

In the early 90s I approached a union (or the ICTU - can't remember exactly) with a view to representing or advising the 30 or so employees of an indigenous Irish company which had undergone financial constraints (including being one of the first companies to successfully come through Examinership, the Irish equivalent of US Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection) and which was the subject of a takeover by a US based multi-national and they (the union) simply didn't entertain my proposal at all. Maybe things have change since then but this was my one and only experience of dealing directly with a union and it didn't fill me with confidence. :\

Be aware that a company is not obliged to deal with a union even if the workers are part of one.

I think a more prudent approach would be for the existing workers to adopt a common, united position and to give a mandate to some brave soul to approach management on their behalf.

It's in the company's interests to foster this kind of interaction rather than alienating the workforce to the point wher they feel the intervention of a union is their only choice.

An unwritten maxim within the HR/Industrial Relations field is that a company finds itself dealing with the union it deserves. There's some considerable truth in that.

Can you send a letter to the MD which is signed by all in your department asking if these changes will actually come in and if so for what reason.
I have to say I agree with Biggles last point.

Thanks to everyone, we will be having a meeting shortly without management and we will be deciding on our course of action - thanks for all input - will definitely be putting it into action.

I'd be fairly pro Union myself although I'm currently not a member of one!!

However there are protections available to people under the law engaged in a "trade dispute" regardless of whether they are members or not, the law couldn't give lower protection to those not in a union.

People can combine ot assert themselves in many ways particularly given the rights in legislation, Entemp website outlines these well, particularly its "guide to Labour law" handbook.

Unions just tend to be the most expereinced and well established in the bargaining area.

Back