No External Extractor

dodo

Hi, I am buying a new oven Nordmende Single oven and getting an internal extractor hood with filter mechanism that pulls out. Shop said no external extractor fan needed. As new oven & Hob will not be in same location as current oven & hob.So no need to kango new outlet.
Just wondering has anyone this type of oven & hob and is it good,
Filters to be changed every 6 months or so. Tks

Many extractors can be installed with an external vent of with recirculation where the air is filtered and released back to the room. Look at the specs of the one you'er looking at, generally they will have lower air-flow in recirculation setup.

If you look up your current extractor model and get a new one that can offer the same airflow in recirculating mode (ideally quieter too), then you should be OK.

In cold weather you might be thankful you're not pumping out all that warm air, but in warmer weather, all the heat will be retained in the room. Sounds like you're not replacing the current hob, but if you are now or in the future, an induction hob would significantly cut down on wasted heat.

You didn't mention what type of hob, but if it's a gas hob, I would definitely be looking at external extraction, as there's all sorts of combustion gases that won't get filtered out, and aren't very good for you.

But for electric or induction hobs, recirculating hoods are very common, and most people seem to get on fine with them.

Exceptions would be if you regularly cook foods at high temperature that produce smoke, or cook things that produce a lot of steam like a simmering stew.

Many extractors can be installed with an external vent of with recirculation where the air is filtered and released back to the room. Look at the specs of the one you'er looking at, generally they will have lower air-flow in recirculation setup.

If you look up your current extractor model and get a new one that can offer the same airflow in recirculating mode (ideally quieter too), then you should be OK.

In cold weather you might be thankful you're not pumping out all that warm air, but in warmer weather, all the heat will be retained in the room. Sounds like you're not replacing the current hob, but if you are now or in the future, an induction hob would significantly cut down on wasted heat.
Replacing current hob & oven and moving one space to the left, so old external hole for extractor I will plaster up, shop said no need for new hole to be knocked out as this new hob,over with slide out extractor will do job fine, change filters maybe once a year

You didn't mention what type of hob, but if it's a gas hob, I would definitely be looking at external extraction, as there's all sorts of combustion gases that won't get filtered out, and aren't very good for you.

But for electric or induction hobs, recirculating hoods are very common, and most people seem to get on fine with them.

Exceptions would be if you regularly cook foods at high temperature that produce smoke, or cook things that produce a lot of steam like a simmering stew.
Electric hob,and would not be doing loads all cooking

I would have thought you could use the existing hole in wall for extraction. My unit is about 7 feet on an internal wall but ducting along top of cabinets takes fumes/steam/smells outside.

The one thing to watch for is they require a carbon filter that is supposed to be changed every few months. A lot of people don't so all these really do is continually pump the same PM-laden air around the room

Reactions: Leo
Back