No ESB connection when snagging

mainie

I completed my snag for new house nearly two weeks ago. We were hoping to close this weekend but then we called the builder and he said we would need to get the ESB connected. We had assumed that this was done by the builder. We were hoping to be able to check it before signing but now the builders are going on holidays after tomorrow and our electricity definitely won't be connected by then (ESB say it can take up to 10 working days).

The rest of our snags are done (only a couple of minor things remaining) and we have to move out of rental accommodation this weekend. Its ok as we have somewhere to stay but would be good if we could close and get some work done over the next couple of weeks in the house in the evenings. Apparently after the ESB connect us, the builders have to dom some checks so we'd have to wait another two weeks until they come back. Should we just wait or go ahead and close??

i'd hang on...if there is no electricity connected how can u verify that the electrics in the house work?

Definitly wait.
Our house had a nail throught a wire causing the RCD to trip and some of the lights were not working. Not always easy getting guys back after you paid out your money.
I would have thought the ESB would have to be connected to do the snag in the first place.

kkontour said:
I would have thought the ESB would have to be connected to do the snag in the first place.

I was in a similar position and my snagger included the fact that the ESB was not connected in the snag list and we let them know that final closing would be subject to the ESB being connected and the electrics (and gas which also was not connected) being satisfactory when the follow up to the snag was done.

I was thinking we should probably wait but the two weeks would give us time to get some things done on the house before we move in. Ah well, whats another two weeks :)

Back