No entitlement to social welfare

lizabeth

Hi

Posting this is my last hope

My dad, fit/young man in his late 50's has been self-employed all his life. He had severe head injury 18 months ago, and he now can never work.

His self-employment PRSI stamps dont entitle him to disability allowance or benefit, invalidity allow. or benefit. I applied anyway for dis allowance, on the grounds that no money being generated from business, carers costs for him in his home were €500 per week. A year later, with help of TD, and having to sit at oral hearing, disability allow. awarded. However, now business has to be sold as no longer can manage - he'll get about 165K. So now he has means, he will be cut off soc welfare, no longer in loop to be eligible.

Problem is 165K we want to invest for his retirement but how can he live in meantime. Or if he uses 165K, it will be gone in a few years and have zero for after 65. He's so physically healthy that he'll probably live til 90!!

Having worked all his life, and never claimed a penny from state - I dunno??

Is there any lawful way that anyone knows of that his money 165K can be put aside so that it cannot be considered means and therefore keep him eligible for some soc welfare support. ?? Pension, I think is considered means.

The children of family, have been supporting him for last 18 months and we're financially bled. The cost of getting max rehab is high and couldnt be delayed as maximum recovery happens in first 2/3 yrs. Got some hrs funding from healthboard to pay for care, so we pay rest.

Any ideas at all?

I don't think there is really anything you can do.

Once his savings go below approx 50K and he is over 66 he can apply for the non contributory pension. He will get a reduced pension increasing as his saving go down. See here
carers costs for him in his home were €500 per week
Don't know if carers costs are covered but you can check with revenue. Other medicial costs are covered and you can claim costs against your tax so each person who contributed can make a claim against their own tax and get relief at their marginal rate. If they are married they can offset it against their spouses tax also. You could get up to 48% of the medicial expenses back. I also hope you are using the Drug Refund Scheme. The 85 per month charge is also tax deductable.

You should go and talk to a good accountant tax advisor who maybe able to advise on how best to sort out your fathers affairs.

thanks for taking time to read

Carers costs couldnt go against business as not a "trading cost" - I tried that. Forgot to say, but got medical card for him so is not actually medicines but therapies, which if waited for public system, too late. Yeah, Ive checked with a/cants and solictors, no joy.

thanks all same

Carers costs couldnt go against business as not a "trading cost"

I meant that the individuals family members who contributed to the cost of the carers can offset these costs against tax already paid by the family members, as you said the family were supporting him.

If your father has to go into a nursing home the cost of this can be offset against the tax liability of those you paid the fees. You can get a Refund of between 20% and 48% depending on how much tax they pay.

Anything here and scroll down to tax allowances. The site is new (government) so no link to further info. You can ask a question on this site.

Came across this leaflet from revenue don't know if it helps

[broken link removed]

unfortunately there isn't much he can do here, my dad was in a similar position but his business was worthless and he is winding up rather than selling a worthless business. his only option is either to transfer to a family member for a small cost - its something he needs to chat to his accountant about. sad situation.

Back