No engineer got prior to property purchase

S

SeanCarthy

A year ago my wife and I purchased a property
Being very naive we made a major mistake and did not get a engineer in to access the property.
During the last year we have come accross some major issues with this property eg. the sewage system is not as detailed in the original planning permission and the electrical connections are to say the least very dangerous.

To resolve the issue it will cost us up to €10,000 and I am enquirying do we have a case to go back to the original owners or do we have to put this one down to a lesson learnt.

Tks in advance

It's quite unlikely that even if you had an engineer involved, he would have spotted any issues with regard to the sewage system or even the electrics (depending).
Normally when you buy a house it's caveat emptor.

Yes, the engineer survey is just to satisfy the bank, and more often than not it just reassures the bank that the property actually exists. The valuation they attach to the property as part of the survey (at least used to be) suspiciously similar to what you are actually paying for it, as if these guys actually know anything about property values.

(S)he would would almost certainly not have caught the sewage or electrical problems, and even if they had, it would probably not have made a shred of difference to the transaction - unless it would have scared you off.

The surveyor is supposed to work for YOU, but most people let them away with murder. I've bought property without a survey because in all honesty I can do a better job (in terms of satisfying myself as to the property's structural state) myself.

Hello,
How old is the house? If the house is less than 5 years old since its completion, report this matter to the Building control Authority in your local County council. They have a duty to serve enforcement and legal proceedings on the original builder if the house or any part of the house does not comply with Building Regulations (in your case Part H - Drainage and waste water disposal)

Certificates of compliance issued following original complation of the house have no legal identity under building control law. It is essentially a private document issued but architects engineers or self professed experts prepared in connection with conveyancing and mortgaging of the house.

NB People in Ireland are ignorant of the fact that buildings ( houses or otherwise ) are never certified in compliance with building regulations.(unlike the rest of europe):eek: Thats why there can be so many problems out there. A house can comply with building regulations but where it has been proven non compliant the building control authority serve enforcement proceedings and legal action if necessary.

So if the house is less than 5 years old talk to your local building control authority and dont be fooled into spending 10000 euro on something the original builder should be putting right for free.

Back