No Car Insurance for Persons Returning to Ireland

roker

I am trying to obtain car Insurance for a friend who is moving from USA to Ireland. Even though he has full no claims, the broker told me they could not obtain a quote from any of their companies. It would appear that a person has to be resident in Ireland for 3 years. This applies to people moving from USA, Australia, Europe etc.
The insurance would seem to have more power than the law, and not a great invitation for people returning when they were force to emigrate due the depression

Have you tried the AA insurance brokers?

Likely it's down to the type of Driving License. I know few people who moved to US and had to rent a car until they converted their licence to a US one.

As I said the broker could do nothing for me/us, Thanks Trojan we will try the AA

I'm having similar problems having moved here from Australia - even having lived in Ireland before. My jointly-held-with-my-husband Australian policy only "counts" for him. (It's treated here as if I were only a named driver on it, not a joint policy holder.) I can get quotes but they are through the roof and I am basically treated as if I never held a policy before, despite over 20 years of driving. I've been told by brokers that Irish insurance companies only consider Irish experience, as a general rule. Seems an outdated assumption in this day and age. #headdesk

And the AA won't even quote for anyone not resident in Ireland or the UK for less than 12 months.

Last edited:
I feel you are paying the price for the insurance companies reacting to the 'staging' of car accidents by non-nationals... Seems like they've put a lock down on persons just arriving here looking for insurance. I don't think it used to be so restrictive.

Motor policies in Ireland are held in the name of the ONE policyholder and that policyholder earns the NCB. You cannot have 2 x NCB on the one car. Did your husband also come to Ireland, and can he get proof of NCB from Australia? If his insurer in Aus has a branch/affiliate in Ireland, you could approach them. However, whatever the outcome, there is only 1 NCB per car/policy

I'm having the exact same problem it's ridiculous just been quoted 4000 euro. What did you do in the end.