No buzz from my pint of Guinness

peemac

Guinness 0.0 has finally been launched and it's not a bad tipple at all.

As a proper test I drank 4 cans as I always find one non alcoholic drink is acceptable on the palate, but it is less so for #2,#3 & #4.

So pleasantly surprised that in a 4 X 500ml "session" of Guinness 0.0 the 4th was as enjoyable as the first with the only thing lacking was the little buzz from alcohol.

A slight chocolate taste, and you'd notice the difference, but very much a flavour difference than an obvious non alcoholic difference.

8/10

Guinness 0.0 has finally been launched and it's not a bad tipple at all.

As a proper test I drank 4 cans as I always find one non alcoholic drink is acceptable on the palate, but it is less so for #2,#3 & #4.

So pleasantly surprised that in a 4 X 500ml "session" of Guinness 0.0 the 4th was as enjoyable as the first with the only thing lacking was the little buzz from alcohol.

A slight chocolate taste, and you'd notice the difference, but very much a flavour difference than an obvious non alcoholic difference.

8/10
I shall also carry out a controlled study. Though I may end up within the placebo group.

I tried to buy 4 cans of Guinness 0.0 this morning in Tesco’s. The checkout operator said I could not buy alcohol before 10:30, I said I was not buying alcohol and pointed to the part of the can where it says Alcohol Free Stout, he politely said yeah but it still won’t scan before 10:30, I will have to come back later.

Not the checkout operator's fault of course but this 10:30 rule is daft enough as it is, applying it to alcohol free beer beggars belief.

Interestingly, I went back later and bought my Guinness 0.0 cans and I got clubcard points for my purchase, so their system thinks it is alcohol but knows it is not alcohol.

I tried to buy 4 cans of Guinness 0.0 this morning in Tesco’s. The checkout operator said I could not buy alcohol before 10:30, I said I was not buying alcohol and pointed to the part of the can where it says Alcohol Free Stout, he politely said yeah but it still won’t scan before 10:30, I will have to come back later.

Not the checkout operator's fault of course but this 10:30 rule is daft enough as it is, applying it to alcohol free beer beggars belief.

Interestingly, I went back later and bought my Guinness 0.0 cans and I got clubcard points for my purchase, so their system thinks it is alcohol but knows it is not alcohol.
I notice in some stories that the alcohol free products are stored outside the saloon barriers. I wonder if they would scan before 1030.

Yeah, my local Dunnes has alcohol free beers in the grocery section, I don’t know if they can be bought before 10:30.

It is worth noting, 4 x Guinness 0.0 is €6 in both Tesco and Dunnes, but in Dunnes all zero alcohol beers count as groceries for €10 off €50 and other vouchers.

We live in a country where the Nanny State dictates both price and availability of alcohol. And you expect rationality from the system! Do you think we're all adults or something?

Has anyone tried the self-service check-outs or the scan as you shop (TESCOS only) gizmos?

Has anyone tried the self-service check-outs or the scan as you shop (TESCOS only) gizmos?
You sure this is in the right section???

Anyway, yes, I am a regular user of Tesco's Scan as you Shop. It's excellent. The advantages are that you can arrange your bags in your trolley and directly place each item in an appropriate bag, eg meats together, fruit and veg together, heavy stuff at the bottom, fragile stuff on top, etc etc. You then go straight to the pay point, scan your card, and that's it, you're done! No checkout queues, no loading stuff onto the belt, then trying to hastily pack it correctly as the assistant pushes the stuff at you. No untrained fundraising brats trying to pack raw meat on top of deli items or bread either!

You sure this is in the right section???

Anyway, yes, I am a regular user of Tesco's Scan as you Shop. It's excellent. The advantages are that you can arrange your bags in your trolley and directly place each item in an appropriate bag, eg meats together, fruit and veg together, heavy stuff at the bottom, fragile stuff on top, etc etc. You then go straight to the pay point, scan your card, and that's it, you're done! No checkout queues, no loading stuff onto the belt, then trying to hastily pack it correctly as the assistant pushes the stuff at you. No untrained fundraising brats trying to pack raw meat on top of deli items or bread either!
I love that system but I find the quality of the fresh food in Tesco really bad so I don't shop there.

I notice in some stories that the alcohol free products are stored outside the saloon barriers. I wonder if they would scan before 1030.
I did the shopping in Dunnes around 09:00 yesterday and there was no problem buying Guinness 0.0.

What's happening to us , zero alcohol, decaffeinated coffee and tea, veganism on the rise..if neanderthal man or woman time travelled to now, they would not procreate.......in the literature of Homer, "is there any problem that Alcohol can't solve " Homer J btw not the Greek lad...

Back