No Boi App, No online Banking?

Does anybody know how many smartphones are allowed to access the same account. In our case we are community group that we want several people to be able to go into the account to make payments etc. Can they all download the BOI App and register to the same account once lead phone number on the accounts sends on the initial activation code?
When a non primary holder then makes a payment will they still have to get a verification sms code forwarded to them from the primary contact number every time they go to make a payment? This would be a right pain it this was the case for us.

Does anybody know how many smartphones are allowed to access the same account. In our case we are community group that we want several people to be able to go into the account to make payments etc. Can they all download the BOI App and register to the same account once lead phone number on the accounts sends on the initial activation code?
When a non primary holder then makes a payment will they still have to get a verification sms code forwarded to them from the primary contact number every time they go to make a payment? This would be a right pain it this was the case for us.
You can setup multiple devices, I have done this with a phone and tablet in case I lose phone.
Not sure what the limit is in terms of devices, the FAQ says "we recommend you set up at least one other device."

You get initial message when registering device but not when making payments. All such transaction comms are through the app.

I had the Nokia 2.2 and now my daughter uses it fine. Internal storage not great but you can put an SD card in.

Seems daft to me to buy a new phone just for a banking app. I am perfectly happy with my IPhone 5. It does everything I need (except banking). It's small and neat and all the modern ones are much too large to handle

If you access your account by pc you not need a smart phone. They are posting out security keys specific to the person alone. Just got one in the post. I do not know how it would work logging on using Internet app on the phone.

I don’t know why they set up their login this way. Ulster Bank one is great. You have your id, 4 number code and the letter code. Then you receive a text with one time password code when you log on. Works really well and covers the new rules. Pity will be loosing such a good website with Ulster Bank leaves Ireland. Will miss it.

I don’t know why they set up their login this way. Ulster Bank one is great. You have your id, 4 number code and the letter code. Then you receive a text with one time password code when you log on. Works really well and covers the new rules
But, Ulster Bank have used card readers for years to approve transactions. The text message does not allow you to approve transactions.

Nokia 2.4 100 quid from Tesco.
Am I right in thinking this is not locked to the Tesco network, as it's a dual sim phone?

Also do the Tesco models have NFC? Conflicting reports online as to whether the Nokia 2.4 supports NFC.

Last edited:
The app is more secure than the website. With the app they can identify the device so don't need the text second factor (text messages aren't secure in any case). It is a secure channel from device to bank
Please stop spreading this myth. All iPhone to iPhone texts using their native app are end-to-end encrypted, travelling via Apple' own private network and not accessing public or open services.

Another "well-known fact" eradicated.

Please stop spreading this myth. All iPhone to iPhone texts using their native app are end-to-end encrypted, travelling via Apple' own private network and not accessing public or open services.

Another "well-known fact" eradicated.

iMessage isn't using SMS technology. The question was about SMS security. I don't believe the banks are using iMessaging for authentication because it requires both ends to be on Apple devices.

So you "eradicated" something I didn't say. SMS texts are not secure

Back