Nice Irish hotel for a weekend break with my wife?

G

gweebarra

Both of us have been up to our eyes recently and could do with a bit of a break.

Could anyone suggest some nice hotel to chill out that might have a decent restaurant attched, and things to do also like spa treatments etc.

Ideally, somehere within 2 hours of Dublin?

Probably looking for 4 or 5 Star, but open to ideas

I tried here recently [broken link removed] and it was very nice. Got out in nice time just before the mad mid-term crowd arrived!

The pool is good, the food is excellent and they have [broken link removed]for pampering although I can't comment on same as not interested.

The only thing I would say is that the hotel is close to a large/busy roundabout and if making a booking it might be as well to contact the hotel direct rather than the central reservations no. You can specifically request a quiet room possibly at the back or to the side of the hotel.

The short approx. 2 hour drive was great as compared to the long journey to the very nice

You could check here also

Mount Wolseley golf and country club outside Tullow in Carlow

www.mountwolseley.ie is quite nice and relaxed as is the Hodson Bay in Athlone www.hodsonbayhotel.com
or the Neptune Beach in Bettystown [broken link removed]. Why not try an Iarnrod Eireann weekend break, let them do the driving . They arrange the whole lot. You can pick up a catalogue at your nearest Station or try [broken link removed]

Kilkea Castle has superb food and a decent spa & pool. Though there isn't a whole lot else on site, apart from the golf course of course, so be prepared to travel into Kilkenny if you want to do a bit of shopping.

Try the Bloomfield House outside Mullingar. Spent a weekend there recently and it was great and has a wonderful spa for beauty treatments.

try the galway bay hotel or the waterfront hotel in Salthill Galway.

both are 4 star hotels and can be booked cheap @
www.bigsavings.ie

Cheers

Melissa.

Check out a book called Mr and Mrs Smiths hotel guide!

I know that elsewhere Lynches Hotels have been 'criticised' for being the Dunnes Stores or RYanair of Irish Hotels. But I found the Breaffy Hotel in Castlebar excellent. Good food, nice grounds, nice little bar and very friendly staff.Lovely rooms, brilliant health centre, Spa treatments and a added bonus is its ony 10 miles to Westport. Though Castlebar is a lovely little town too.Cheers.

Went to the Mount Juliet in Thomastown a while ago.

It was the only decent hotel, that I've ever been to in Ireland. Owned by the Hilton group.

Inchadoney in Cork, although it might be a little further than you wanted to travel. Its very luxurious- in a fantastic location- overlooking a gorgeous coastline, with a hedonistic spa attached. I know if I were being taken on a weekend away by my dear husband, thats where I'd want to go.

If you're an AAM regular Mr.V, you know what to buy the missus for Christmas 2005 already !!

:rollin

Thanks for blowing my cover! Thought I got away with that one- usually I am much more subtle, such as leaving a brochure about the house in specific locations such as on top of Mr. V's playstation games, on top of his power tools and such like.

Cork

Spent last weekend in The Metropole in Cork. It's only a three star, but food was excellent, breakfast till noon, nice leisure centre, right in the city centre and free parking taboo. Was only €139 for 3DBB, and you get an additional 20% discount if you say your a shareholder when booking (1850-777777)

Back