Next door neighbours from HELL

Let's have a look at some of the solutions provided:-

(b) Ask the Gardaí to be intermediaries.
They have more pressing problems on an hourly basis.

Yes indeed they do have more pressing problems e.g. arresting corrupt politicians that ruined this country, senators who abused expenses, govt ministers who influenced multi-million euro mobile phone license deals for personal gain, county councilors that took bribes for zoning, bishops and priests that covered up shocking crimes against children, senior bank executives who paid themselves a fortune while at the same time ruining their own banks and the economy, unscrupulous developers who created ghost estates and left others unfinished, financial regulators that slept on the job etc etc.

Obviously they are flat out. Let me guess, a file is being sent to the DPP....

Worth investigating if the previous owners had a documented dispute with the neighbours that they omitted to declare at sale. You may have recourse against them.

=Leper;1153732
(e) Sooner or later "Junior" next door will be preparing and sitting exams.
Then borrow a set of drums and bagpipes if possible. Return the
noise, but with interest.

I play the bagpipes, I was pondering practicing outside today since the weather's so nice. Might rethink that as the neighbour may think it's payback for their dogs barking all night!

I had a neighbour from hell, he's driven four lots of tenants out of the house I used to rent. Thankfully we bought out in the country and got away from him. I don't have any advice but I do feel for the OP. The right to peaceful enjoyment of your home should be enforced on every level.

If you need me.......holler! I'd be happy to practice at your place..I'd even be sure and play very, very badly!

I play the bagpipes,....

If you need me.......holler! I'd be happy to practice at your place..I'd even be sure and play very, very badly!

LOL that revenge would be very sweet. Is there any other way to play the bagpipes!!!...( only joking). :D

This might be a solution, but, don't quote me. Years ago after leaving flatland I rented a house (a big step up at the time). One of my housemates was an artic truck driver. He worked all sorts of hours and came and went at unearthly hours.

During cold or wet spells he would start his truck just to warm it up while he was having his breakfast etc. We didn't realise it but the loud purring sound from the truck engine tantalised our neighbours. Of course, they complained and of course the artic driver copped on and all remained OK.

Therefore, the solution to unwanted neighbourly noise could be to get a sympathetic truck driver to park outside your door and leave the truck engine purring as often as possible.

Some perspective needed

This is a very sad thread.

Couple doesn't do research, ends up buying a semi-d with bad neighbours who like to make a lot of noise.

Description of conditions leads to immediate diagnosis of "scum".

Gardai approached, offer advice. Legal options touched on and abandoned. Everyone then seems to agree no real help will ensue...

Real issue here is an Irish desire, by both house builders and buyers, to privilege badly built and unsoundproofed buildings. We build them, you buy them. No meaningful building survey regulations to protect either you (the buyer) or your neighbours (who have to live with whatever nuisance you might decide to rain down on them) from vandalism of any kind.

Once we start talking about people being "scum", all cooperative options have been exhausted. The word was mentioned within a couple of replies to the OP. The OP immediately co-opted the terminology.

Buying a semi-D (or terraced house) should involve a huge amount of research.

You bought a pig in a poke. Sell up if you bought into a "scum" (your word) neighbourhood and don't like it.

Tough love

E

You can do all the research in the world and you dont know who or what will live next door to you. Nobody ever asked for noise problems. There is only so much research you can do and it is amazing how little information you can absorb from existing neighbours. There is the "I'm living with it, why can't you" syndrome.

We are not entitled to much, but we are entitled to peace and quiet.

What is the definition of a gentleman?
One who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't.

What is the definition of a lady?

One who can play the bagpipes and smiles politely when people make the assumtion she's a man :)

I spoke to a local guard (kildare) who assured me that there is some sort of by-law re noise polution. This was in relation to my next door neighbour's child kicking the ball against our joint front wall for hours on a daily basis. Not as bad as drumming, but still 'accounted for' by the council. Luckily, my 25 second screaming like a deranged banshee at a child solved the problem for good.

Surely, all that drumming must be heard by the other people living on your street and even though it may not be as much nuisance to them as it is to you, it's still a nuisance. I would go to the local council and insist on speaking to somebody in person.

Secondly, if you really like everything other than you next door neighbour and want to keep the house, invest in soundproofing.

Thirdly, wait for a few years and buy the noisiest trumpet for your child and quality ear plugs for yourself. Oh, and don't pay for any trumpet lessons. :D

This is a very sad thread.

Couple doesn't do research, ends up buying a semi-d with bad neighbours who like to make a lot of noise.

Description of conditions leads to immediate diagnosis of "scum".

Gardai approached, offer advice. Legal options touched on and abandoned. Everyone then seems to agree no real help will ensue...

Real issue here is an Irish desire, by both house builders and buyers, to privilege badly built and unsoundproofed buildings. We build them, you buy them. No meaningful building survey regulations to protect either you (the buyer) or your neighbours (who have to live with whatever nuisance you might decide to rain down on them) from vandalism of any kind.

Once we start talking about people being "scum", all cooperative options have been exhausted. The word was mentioned within a couple of replies to the OP. The OP immediately co-opted the terminology.

Buying a semi-D (or terraced house) should involve a huge amount of research.

You bought a pig in a poke. Sell up if you bought into a "scum" (your word) neighbourhood and don't like it.

Tough love

E

A truly bizarre response.

Your main beef seems to be that posters have referred to these neighbours as 'scum'.
Wise up buddy - there's a time to call a spade a spade. These neighbours are very much scum.

I'm not sure you'd have the same cold-hearted viewpoint if you were in the OPs shoes.

Back