Next door for sale - boundary and shared driveway problems

That's not necessarily correct. LANdirect just indicates the site but not to the full scale so there may be discrepancies, which the owners own legal information (and the original PP if it complied) should designate
Yeah, just checked my house there and the landirect outline is completely different to what's in the deeds. My terraced house site is irregular at the front and back but that website has a simple rectangular plot outline. So I wouldn't depend on that website. Thankfully there haven't been any turf wars between me and the neighbours yet. ;)

Original planning was not approved, those were even worse as it happens - there was a requirement for 'shared space' from day 1
due to the nature of the site.
what do you mean by the requirement to Share space, if there is no proper planning how did it work out before you bought your house, was planning and shared space fully sorted before you moved in,

Last edited:
what do you mean by the requirement to Share space, if there is no proper planning how did it work out before you bought your house, was planning and shared space fully sorted before you moved in,
Requirement - as in physical logistics. It's two dormers built in someone's back garden at 90 degrees to the Main House. There is full planning of course - but just different to planning sought. Instead of a new entrance route through the front garden of the Main House - the Council made them open an entrance along the side of the garden site - hence the gateway is opposite the front door of our house, with a space of 4m by 5m that is no pretty much no mans land, and is for access, we maintain the physical vehicle gate. Asked receiver for half of the cost for automating it - and no reply. Anyhow, the layout it makes for a tricky reverse for the other house. Life would be easier if we bought the house next door, possibly will make an offer via our solicitor shortly - but it will be under market value - so they may not bite. The house was owned by the original builder/developer. If someone decent moved in, we wouldn't mind, but after previous hassle it leaves her inside anxious as bedam.

Yeah, just checked my house there and the landirect outline is completely different to what's in the deeds. My terraced house site is irregular at the front and back but that website has a simple rectangular plot outline. So I wouldn't depend on that website. Thankfully there haven't been any turf wars between me and the neighbours yet. ;)
neighbour peace is fairly priceless!

If the planning was not approved the sale won't be going ahead quite so fast as the seller things.
PP issues would create the kinds of issues that would make resale a huge issue. Surprised this wasn't pointed out to you at point of purchase by your own solicitor.
The original planning application. Final planning was granted - but with changes to the way the builder wanted to do the driveway. All is in order. My concern was the vendor basically saying - ah yeah - you can drive where you like.

The old saying good neighbors are better than good relations any day,
it looks like it was set up to bring out the worst in o_Oo_Oneighbors from day one,
Their attitude I suspect will depend on you frighten away all of the good buyers,
I suspect you will have to go full market price and buy,
Lots of good neighborly type buyers will give it a miss once they see the setup, It will separate the wheat from the chaff
I suspect,

Last edited:
The old saying good neighbors are better than good relations any day,
it looks like it was set up to bring out the worst in o_Oo_Oneighbors from day one,
Their attitude I suspect will depend on you frighten away all of the good buyers,
I suspect you will have to go full market price and buy,
Lots of good neighborly type buyers will give it a miss once they see the setup, It will separate the wheat from the chaff
I suspect,
Yip - it's a woeful set up.
That's what we think - the ones who don't give a hoot may be the ones to buy it.
We have tidied up our end out the front and left it as it would be and not off-putting - to reduce chance of getting bullish buyers.
Receivers want proof of funds with our offer. Have to sell one property though to gather funds...tricky to know what to do...
Know of a nice family looking to relocate from UK - could suit them as a starter...similar age kids which could be a real positive...

All is in order. My concern was the vendor basically saying - ah yeah - you can drive where you like.
If the purchaser's solicitor is aware that they will need to travel over part of your property to access theirs, then they would be insisting on easements being registered (these issues aren't always clear from the paperwork they receive). A savvy buyer, or even a buyer with a good surveyor will ensure this is highlighted and addressed.

Perhaps a sign highlighting the issue might get the attention of prospective purchasers? Or parking a car, bins or flower pots as suggested might highlight your boundary. No point talking to the agent, they won't want to know.

If the purchaser's solicitor is aware that they will need to travel over part of your property to access theirs, then they would be insisting on easements being registered (these issues aren't always clear from the paperwork they receive). A savvy buyer, or even a buyer with a good surveyor will ensure this is highlighted and addressed.

Perhaps a sign highlighting the issue might get the attention of prospective purchasers? Or parking a car, bins or flower pots as suggested might highlight your boundary. No point talking to the agent, they won't want to know.
A sign could also lower the price attraction in the don't give a hoot type,
I would say to loan star get funding in place and some kind of border clearly restricting entry on to lone stars property,

Last edited:

Perhaps a sign highlighting the issue might get the attention of prospective purchasers? Or parking a car, bins or flower pots as suggested might highlight your boundary. No point talking to the agent, they won't want to kno

A sign could also lower the price attraction in the don't give a hoot type,
I would say to loan star get funding in place and some kind of border clearly restricting entry on to lone stars property,
It's a daily discussion here at moment! we could sell all up and buy one fine house instead! :) Thanks everyone for all the comments so far!

Yip - it's a woeful set up.
That's what we think - the ones who don't give a hoot may be the ones to buy it.
We have tidied up our end out the front and left it as it would be and not off-putting - to reduce chance of getting bullish buyers.
Receivers want proof of funds with our offer. Have to sell one property though to gather funds...tricky to know what to do...
Know of a nice family looking to relocate from UK - could suit them as a starter...similar age kids which could be a real positive...
If I was you I would think about selling the awkward property, ie, the one you're in now. In fact I wouldn't be doing much thinking about it at all. It's either that, or buy the one next door.

The original planning application. Final planning was granted - but with changes to the way the builder wanted to do the driveway. All is in order. My concern was the vendor basically saying - ah yeah - you can drive where you like.
That's why getting the full paperwork is critical! The place I'm trying to buy had at least 3 sets of PP so its got complicated for very similar reasons as there were definite deviations from the approved plan, and then a retention which referred to the original plan (and then seemed to attach it to another unit).

AFAIK the details on the Land Registry have legal force. If they differ from what is on the ground you need to get that rectified before you could sell.

AFAIK the details on the Land Registry have legal force. If they differ from what is on the ground you need to get that rectified before you could sell.
Have you ever seen a Land Registry plot layout?
If you scaled the felt tip pen outline up to full scale it'd probably be several metres wide from one side to the other!
At least that's the way with the ones that I've seen in practice including my own house.
Maybe these days they use more detailed GIS data/coordinates or something?

Have you ever seen a Land Registry plot layout?
If you scaled the felt tip pen outline up to full scale it'd probably be several metres wide from one side to the other!
At least that's the way with the ones that I've seen in practice including my own house.
Maybe these days they use more detailed GIS data/coordinates or something?
The ones I have seen have been after a digitising project that they have had ongoing for a number of years are very high resolution. It caused a problem for my parents when they tried to sell there house.

It may well be that the digitised maps were created from felt tip originals and that was what caused the problem.

I scaled up - got 5m by 4 m. Need to put in a Registry of Deeds request for all the info. (The instrument) staff member was very helpful when i rang them. we do remember a yellow square (the shared bit) Other property is not on Land registry as it was built on land acquired in 2005. The receivers have their garden crew coming on Monday to cut back the jungle. It amuses me how they still have not realised the gate is not automated and they ask us to open it (slide it back).....their security firm also baffled....We have no appetite to buy the house next door and think we will move if some horrors move in.

Back