New York

P

pc2001

Going to New york Sunday for a week's shopping whats the story with customs and getting tax refunds when we leave the states. Thanks

Hi PC2001,

Just came back from a shopping trip to New York myself - was scared witless by all the stories about being caught by Customs on re-entry - spent the night, before we left, taking off all the tags from the stuff we bought (including the new suitcase!)

We had a big bag each and I thought we looked likely candidates for stopping - however, on checking in in JFK there were people with 3,4 and even 5 bags each !!! - One elderly lady even asked us to check in some of her bags because she was "terribly over loaded" - I didn't in case anyone is wondering.

When we arrived in Dublin there was nobody manning the customs channels - I couldn't even see anybody on duty in the "Something to Declare - Red Channel" (that was at 08:30 in the morning) so we got through ok - I have heard the same thing from other people that have gone to the States - nobody in Customs on their return.

With regard to tax back from the States, I don't believe it's possible as there is not a standard VAT rate in the states but rather each State levies it's own sales taxes.

BTW I would recommend Woodbury Common in the Catskills in New York for shopping - fantastic bargains on designer gear - there is also a Samsonite store there with excellent bargains. There were more Irish in the place than Americans the day we were there.

Have fun

efm

Not sure if anything here about shopping but you might find something useful.

There is a slight reference to customs and New York shopping also.

Back