New power shower needed

Salvadore

I need to replace an Aqualisa power shower that’s finally given up after nearly 20 years loyal service.

Is it better to get a replacement myself and have a plumber fit it? Or have the plumber advise and source one himself?

If you're competent enough to select one yourself that will work for your family & won't leave the witness marks from the old shower exposed then go ahead & buy it yourself retail.

I find Screwfix.ie very competitive & I'd start my search there. Befoe you engage your Plumber get confirmeation from him that he is capable to install that shower in your shower cubicle. Show him both & ask him to identify any problems or constraints before you give him the job.

Alternatively you could ask the Plumber to select a suitable shower from a range of showers & then you go & buy it retail.

Considerations:
  • Power rating Old & New & your trip switch rating.
  • The footprint of your old shower on the wall - will the new one cover it nicely?
  • Water supply required. Flow rate. Pressure. Will your current set up meet the new shower's specification.
  • Water supply required: supply pipe fitting compatible or adaption required?
  • Warranty on the hardware. If something goes wrong will the Manufacture will blame the plumber.
  • Warranty on the Plumbers work. If something goes wrong will he blame the Shower or perhaps the Manufacture will blame the plumber.

If you ring Aqualisa in England with your model details they should be able to tell you if the current model has the same wallprint. They are very helpful (in my experience anyway).

I have one of the current models and find it very good. I found buying online from the UK much cheaper. I priced Screwfix and Amazon and the prices were similar - I can't remember which one I went with. Just to note, though, that the 3 year manufacturer's guarantee does not apply if you purchase from the UK (including Screwfix.ie) rather than an Irish supplier. You are left with the shop guarantee, ie, your statutory rights. If anything goes wrong you have to unconnect the unit yourself and return it to the online supplier. With the Aqualisa guarantee the call-out and repair/replacement, etc, is all included in the guarantee.
I purchased online as I had no trouble with a previous model and and they are rated quite well for reliability. As noted by Horatio, You should be careful with your plumber. Many not familiar with this unit and the fitting is different. I don't know if the old power transformer is adequate to leave or if you will need to fit the new transformer that comes with it. Keeping the old one would make the change much simpler. You could check this with Aqualisa if you call them. I didn't try a self-fit as I wouldn't trust myself and so I can't advise one way or the other.
Hopefully the current unit has more or less the same wallprint as your old one. Otherwise, it is unlikely that one of the alternative brands will fit without some more extensive adjustments.

Really helpful replies. Many thanks

So screwfix.ie is not an Irish company for the purposes of consumer law?

If using ScrewFix, collect from a local store and ensure fittings are sized to Irish specs. Anything ordered online will be shipped from the UK where pipe sizes are different, and funnily enough UK pipe is metric while Irish is imperial! You might bodge the 15mm and 1/2" fittings together but 3/4" and 22mm, particularly if higher pressures are involved will require an adapter.

Anything ordered online will be shipped from the UK where pipe sizes are different,
As far as I know the Aquastream is not customised between the two markets. The models are identical. I just had a quick look at the installation guide that came with mine and it refers to 15mm supply pipes. I don't know if this causes a problem but the plumber didn't mention it. Also, as the poster is replacing an old Aquastream I assume the fitting will be the same as previously?

So screwfix.ie is not an Irish company for the purposes of consumer law?
It probably is. But Aqualisa do not extend its warranty to products ordered from it. (The same would be the case if you purchased your aquastream in any GB high street shop and fitted in in Ireland). The warranty is for 3 years and includes callouts, for repairs, replacements, etc. You are left with the shop guarantee under consumer law, and this does not include callouts, etc. You have to arrange disconnection and return (to the shop/supplier) yourself.

I see the Aqualisa is priced at €786 Screwfix. I don't know anything about the following company but I see they are advertising to supply and fit an aquastream as a replacement "from €930". This should include the Aqualisa warranty (you could check but I think they may be the agents for services under the Aqualisa warranty in the east of the country). It might be good value for you at that price if they are located anywhere near you: https://www.dublinshowerrepair.com/product/aqualisa-aquastream-thermostatic-shower/

Last edited:
€930 for an electric shower fitted wow that’s an expensive shower.
It is a power shower rather than an electric shower. And, yes, it is expensive. The price seems to have gone up a lot recently. I paid €570 about 18 months ago (not including fitting). However, the cost and inconvenience of adjustments for an an alternative would have to be factored in also.

It probably is. But Aqualisa do not extend its warranty to products ordered from it. (The same would be the case if you purchased your aquastream in any GB high street shop and fitted in in Ireland). The warranty is for 3 years and includes callouts, for repairs, replacements, etc. You are left with the shop guarantee under consumer law, and this does not include callouts, etc. You have to arrange disconnection and return (to the shop/supplier) yourself.

I see the Aqualisa is priced at €786 Screwfix. I don't know anything about the following company but I see they are advertising to supply and fit an aquastream as a replacement "from €930". This should include the Aqualisa warranty (you could check but I think they may be the agents for services under the Aqualisa warranty in the east of the country). It might be good value for you at that price if they are located anywhere near you: https://www.dublinshowerrepair.com/product/aqualisa-aquastream-thermostatic-shower/
Many thanks for that.

So about 140 to fit. Is that reasonable?

Last edited:
So about 140 to fit. Is that reasonable?
You may get it done more cheaply - although plumbers are in high demand. But getting it through this supplier should include the Aqualisa warranty, which you won't have unless you purchase the unit from an Irish retailer. The price is likely to be a a fair bit higher there than online and then whatever your plumber charges on top.

Check with the Dublin company to confirm the warranty if you are considering them. If you are not concerned about the Aqualisa warranty you could order direct from a UK online company and take your luck with getting a cheaper install.

You may get it done more cheaply - although plumbers are in high demand. But getting it through this supplier should include the Aqualisa warranty, which you won't have unless you purchase the unit from an Irish retailer. The price is likely to be a a fair bit higher there than online and then whatever your plumber charges on top.

Check with the Dublin company to confirm the warranty if you are considering them. If you are not concerned about the Aqualisa warranty you could order direct from a UK online company and take your luck with getting a cheaper install.
That’s really helpful. Many thanks.

@Salvadore

I see Amazon are retailing the Aquastream for £596 (about€685). If you are thinking of going the import route (and forgoing the warranty) this is a good saving compared to Screwfix (€786).

As far as I know the Aquastream is not customised between the two markets. The models are identical. I just had a quick look at the installation guide that came with mine and it refers to 15mm supply pipes. I don't know if this causes a problem but the plumber didn't mention it. Also, as the poster is replacing an old Aquastream I assume the fitting will be the same as previously?
Most showers and pumps are, ever though they will share the same codes. The 15mm connections are the UK standard. You will usually get away with mixing those so long as you can get enough compression on the olive.

Most showers and pumps are, ever though they will share the same codes. The 15mm connections are the UK standard
Are you sure Leo? I wouldn't have a clue about fitting myself but, according to a plumber over on Boards, all electric showers sold in Ireland come with UK standard 15mm fittings. He refers to using "15mm compression fittings". If it applies to electric showers I would be fairly sure it applies to the Aquastream.

Are you sure Leo? I wouldn't have a clue about fitting myself but, according to a plumber over on Boards, all electric showers sold in Ireland come with UK standard 15mm fittings. He refers to using "15mm compression fittings". If it applies to electric showers I would be fairly sure it applies to the Aquastream.
I thought the Triton ones used to come with 1/2" fittings here, but you might be right. Compression fitting use the brass olive that gets pressed to fill any gaps, 12mm (OD) and our 1/2" are close enough that they'll work but 3/4" / 22mm won't.

Back