New house with unseen pipes

Builder

I am sub contracting the building of my new house and detached garage, foundations for both are poured. I will be installing a central vacum system and oil condensing boiler in garage. I would like to have all pipes incl. toilet, sink pipes unseen. Is it sufficient to take sewer pipes through wall of garage underneath subfloor and then place the pipe for CVS and boiler through these at a later stage, and also can the same apply from boiler to oil tank. For electrical, I was going to get my electrician to lay heavy duty cable from fuse box in garage to fuse box in utility and also get cable laid from utility to outside front of house so that at a later stage I can light my driveway. My phone line will be underground from road to house, what pipe can I lay under subfloor to phone box so that it will be unseen. Basically I dont want pipes to be coming out through the base wall of house and realise now that they need to be in place this week.

Your plumber and electrician should be able to give you detailed answers on what is termed "builder's work", including marking out routes for all ducting, trunking etc.

All my toilet waste pipes in my house are internal, with the pipes simply boxed and padded/insulated. I thought it was a great idea at the beginning but never again. You can hear the waste/water falling from upstairs down through the pipe. Ugh!

You might have used the wrong pipes. Sound insulated waste pipes are available for this purpose . They are much stronger, about 1-2 cm strong and even more , made of black heavy plastic instead of the thinner orange or black ones .There are also cement/fibre pipes available for the purpose . And when pipes pass through a floor/wall they should not be in direct contact with it . Fixings ( metall clamps ) holding the pipes should be as well not in direct contact , normally these fixings are equipped with a black rubber liner.There are special ones available for the job offering two ore more " sound barriers " . Once the "demage" had been done try to loosen the fixings a bit and put some rubber material ( an old car/bicycle tube cut into strips for example ) in between clamp and pipe. For better sound proofing you can glue a second or third layer of plaster board around the existing boxing.Try to avoid direct contact with the floor,wall and ceiling and fill the gaps with silicone ( or acryl mastic if you want to overpaint it ) .
That should eliminate the sound problem at least a bit.

I have only come across these twin wall pipes quite recently, they are a boon in this type of construction and more so in multi occupancy buildings like apartment blocks.

Thanks heinbloed. The builder used the orage coloured ones. I have no idea what type of fixings were used as it is all boxed up now and plastered over. The problem appears to be when the waste hits the bottom of the s bend/turn at ground floor level before moving on outside. The well known award winning builder should have dealt with this better. After living in the house for 11 years we are still seeing his poor workmanship. A recent visit to his new apartments in the Stepaside area shows the same poor finish.

If this happens only at the bend then there might be a wrong bend in use . Most would go for a 90 degrees bend . If space allows for it use instead two bends of 45 degrees , that would eliminate some of the " hump ! " sound by slowing the fall more gradually .

One could still try to put a second layer of plaster board on to the original box ( as described above) when renovating/decorating next time .All that would be lost would be 1 or 2 cm of the width of the wall .

Back