New house - unsightly drain covers on driveway

MandaC

I put a holding deposit on a new house. The house is located at the end of a block and has a larger than normal side garden, for which I am paying coniderably extra. I visited site during the week and noticed two very large silver drain covers right bang slap in the middle of the driveway, which do not seem to be on any of the other driveways on the block

Could it be because I am at the end of the block that I have these. Could it also be that should there be any problems with drains on the entire block that access will need to be gained onto my property.

Have I just cause for concern, or am I making a big deal out of nothing. Apart from the unsightly aspect, is there anything else I should be concerned about. Havent got a clue about this type of thing so any assistance would be much appreciated. Has anyone any constructive questions that I should be asking the builders.

Many thanks.

afraid there's nothing you can do - except maybe request black covers !

typically end of block houses have drain inspection access for sewage for the entire line of houses so in the event of a blockage or anything they will be used by the builders/sewage people to clean out. these drains would have been marked on any ground works site plans submitted to the council so there is nothing you can do about them.

we had two in the middle of our back lawn in our last house - worse then on a driveway i think.

Many thanks for this. I definitely agree that its worse to have them in the back garden than on the driveway! Havent lived in a house at the end of a block before, so thats why I have never encountered them. Once there is nothing wrong with having them there from a practical point of view I am not that concerned, or any other reasonI should not go ahead with the house purchase. I got the house as a cancellation, the previous proposed purchaser backed out(was told for mortgage reasons) and I was just concerned when I saw the big drain covers that it might have been for something else.

Another question, would I be able to get the driveway cobblocked for example?

Hi MandaC

Yes you can pave, cobblelock, Tarmacadam your driveway, it's just a matter of cutting around them.

No I wont see them with the car over them, thats why I would prefer them there than sitting in the middle of the back garden.

Once theres no major problems with having them there, I have nothing to worry about!

Thanks everyone

Back