new home owner!

morpheus

Finally after months and months of waiting, we got the keys to our house last night.

I took esb and gas readings last night before we even went into the house and then phoned esb and bord gais this morning to give them the readings and to open accounts.

we dont have forwarding address so the estate agent we purchased from will initially send the stuff on but will give me the other parties solicitors address so i can call esb and bord gais and get them to send on the bills there instead.

Also the other couple requested our contact details (in case there were any issues) but estate agent kindly refused them and said he would furnish me with their details in case i wanted to get in touch, i dont want any contact with them because its our house and i am suspicious about this now.

they have sky digital paid up until december which weve asked to be disconnected.

there are a set of patio doors which no key in the house will open, weve queried this but as the house is now ours i doubt theres much we can do. is it a big deal to replace locks on the doors as they are already locked and unopenable, im worried it will be difficult to get them changed.

is there anything else we need to check on this, our first day of house ownership? changing locks on front and back doors? changing alarm codes?

also we got a TRS (tax relief at source) form with our mortgage letter from EBS, do we fill this in and then get tax relief, and until then pay slightly higher mortgage amounts?

cheers for all your help and advice over the last year, i think without the information on askaboutmoney we wouldve fallen into every single pitfall imaginable.

congratulations! :D

you fill the TRS form EBS gave you and send it directly to Revenue yourself. Revenue will notify EBS the amount of tax relief you will be entitled to and EBS will handle it from there. Until then, you pay the full amount of the mortgage. It can take up to 8 weeks for TRS to be applied. If you have any queries, email the TRS section directly - i have found revenue very helpful and prompt in replying to emails

good luck!

Thanks!

Do we both fill out a TRS form? were not married. The mortgage is in both our names as are all bills etc?

you can put both names on the form, but the relief is given on the house...not to both of you.. you don't both get it. ie, if 7 of you had bought the house together, the house would still qualify for the same amount of tax relief. that's why the mortgage lender can deduct it 'at source'.

:)

Congratulations on your new home.

The 1st thing I always do when I buy a new house is to change the locks. I even have the lock bought in advance!

I once had a guy send someone around to a house I had just bought and he tried to get into the house with the old key so that he could take away the furniture!!

Get those locks changed!

mw

cheers for TRS information, its just that you can fill it in online on the revenue website but the form asked only for my PPS number.

alternatively you can change one of the locks and add an extra one, maybe one that can only be locked from inside for a short term solutions. i knew some of the locks were build-in the door

In relation to the TRS, this is on the individual not on the house. If you only put down one name as being a single person you would only get relief on €3175 (assuming First time buyer). You are both entitled to relief on this amount as individuals. You need to complete two TRS1's.

Back