New fee appearing on Visa card (BOI)

franksm

Hi folks

(hope I'm not repeating things here, I did a search on this topic and it appears new)

Visa card transactions (BOI Visa card) outside of the Euro zone now attract a 1.75% fee. Is that the case with all credit cards, or just the BOI ?

I use my card up North quite a bit, and it's only since start of March that this fee has been appearing on my bill. These transactions are normal shop/vendor transactions; I also usually keep my credit card in credit so to speak. My Visa card is BOI, and based on a BOI current account in Dublin.

Thanks

Frank

franksm said:
Visa card transactions (BOI Visa card) outside of the Euro zone now attract a 1.75% fee. Is that the case with all credit cards, or just the BOI ?
My PTSB Visa charged a forex margin of 1.75% on non € zone transactions for years now.

So it looks like all the CCs are charging such a fee - and either the BOI fee was hidden until now, or else they were simply not charging it until March of this year? I looked at previous statements, and transactions in February were not listing this fee; transactions in March are showing the fee.

Is it possible to have a STG credit-card on a Euro account ? But then again, I guess that transferring Euros into the STG card would still attract the fee...

Snookered.

With PTSB the charge is built into the conversion rate and does not appear as a separate charge on the statement. Maybe some or all VISA providers are moving towards listing it explicitly or something?

As a matter of interest, if the bank decides to change the fees that it charges, is it required to contact you to notify you of the change? Or is it sufficent for them to just put an ad in the paper.

Specific case relates to AIB Visa who had a 1.75% fee for outside Eurozone transactions. This is now 2.75%. I do not recall any communication from them relating to this increase.

franksm said:
(hope I'm not repeating things here, I did a search on this topic and it appears new)

Frank

I've had a BOI card since 1997 (actually just about to clear the card and close the account as the interest rate is very steep but thats besides the point) and they always had some kind of extra charge for foreign transactions. They just change them a bit from time to time.

I've had multiple BoI cards for years and they never showed that charge for me. I also noticed that the charge appeared last month and it gave me pause for thought. I guess they are just showing it more clearly now, but certainly just having it there (and seeing the charge as a %) will make me think a little more about the 'cost' of using the card.

z

BOI just got back to me - they confirm that it's a charge they have been collecting before now, but have recently had to make it "clear" to their customers.

Guess that's that. Wish they would waive any forex fees for Sterling withdrawn in the north ;-)

Back