New Business expenses calculation.

Johnny67

Hi,

I am starting a new sole trader business and was wondering how do I go about calcuating my business expenses.

I have an office in the house and work there most days and to be honest and evening and weekends too.

So how do I calculate bills like like broadband, mobile phone, electricity and heating, my cars diesel, car insurance and road tax., when I use it to travel to meetings?

Is there a simple way to do it or is it done on a day by day basis and what receipt do I need to keep.

Also is there any other expenses I have missed?, accountancy fees of course.

All advice appreciated

Johnny

Honestly, your accountant should sort that out, regards percentage of usage. For me, I tell my accountant each year what I pay in total for each item you mentioned, he goes & works out the percentage I can claim. Broadband I put all through as I would be on a much cheaper option if I didn't have a business at home.
In terms of receipts I put through, the broadband is a monthly bill, so he gets that receipt as normal with any other expenses. Petrol I do keep receipts but he just gets the full bundle at the end of the year & he works it out, no VAT can be claimed on it. Rest I put what I pay bi-monthly/yearly as a figure only....no receipt or anything.
My accountants are a firm & straight shooters, nothing gets claimed unless its business. If I need new car tyres, I'm allowed claim for 2 only, so 50%! I just let them do their thing, that's their expertise!
You have most if not all of the variables mentioned. All other expenses will be specific to your own business!

Thank you myate that very helpful.

yes my accountant does do some of ti but I always worry that others may do it differently.
For 3xamole I work from home am in my house working 5/6 out of 7 from 9am to 7pm some days.

This obviously impacts the heating bills.

In a four room house do I charge a quarter of my bill though I know the bulk of the costs is me operating from home during the day.

Advice appreciated.

Thank you myate that very helpful.

yes my accountant does do some of ti but I always worry that others may do it differently.
For 3xamole I work from home am in my house working 5/6 out of 7 from 9am to 7pm some days.

This obviously impacts the heating bills.

In a four room house do I charge a quarter of my bill though I know the bulk of the costs is me operating from home during the day.

Advice appreciated.
Impossible to answer this sort of question meaningfully without knowing your circumstances.

There's a lot to be said for not claiming tax deductions on any domestic costs. The hassle of collecting and trawling through domestic bills and storing them for 7 years turns a lot of people off.

Back