New-build snagging disaster

You're the one who brought up 2020 house energy use, why don't you tell me? Then tell me why you brought it up in relation to average gas use for space heating.

Again, you seem to have missed the point there completely. Only about 20% of the total housing stock dates from that time.

Perhaps have a read of what I said

On paper all can seem well, but in reality, in practice the experience does not meet expectations.

Hence the OP's question, I pointed out there are much better ways. Your timely research which showed our most modern houses are only 50% better than equivalent builds elsewhere from the 1950s is really telling.

Last edited:
Actually you can get aggregate data for all homes built ever - since 2016, in 2022 census, and electric heating represents a dwindling proportion - about 50% of all 93k homes built in this period have electric forms of heating (most likely heatpumps).

Type of Heating Value
No central heating 943
Oil 8,702
Natural Gas 29,506
Electricity 44,611
Coal (incl. anthracite) 349
Peat (incl. turf) 557
Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) 369
Wood (incl. wood pellets) 527
Other fuels 6,537
Not stated 1,027

All households 93,128

This survey suggests there's around 61k heat pumps in use in residential as of mid 2022 again from census,

That's nearly 18 month old data so guessing figure even higher now
Hopefully those 61k are in houses with a reasonable air-tightness figure, - I mean a measured air-tightness , not once based on paper...

Your timely research which showed our most modern houses are only 50% better than equivalent builds elsewhere from the 1950s is really telling.
Seriously, go back and read what I said!! At no point did I say that "only our most modern houses" use gas for space heating. You put forward an anecdote of one experience of a single building as a reflection on the poor quality of Irish homes, Finnish data suggests they are no better than ours.

I'd also suggest you do some research on the NZEB regulations introduced in 2019 that have resulted in less than 5% of new builds having fossil fuel boilers if you want to understand the requirements for modern homes.

Seriously, go back and read what I said!! At no point did I say that "only our most modern houses" use gas for space heating. You put forward an anecdote of one experience of a single building as a reflection on the poor quality of Irish homes, Finnish data suggests they are no better than ours.

I'd also suggest you do some research on the NZEB regulations introduced in 2019 that have resulted in less than 5% of new builds having fossil fuel boilers if you want to understand the requirements for modern homes.
Sorry, I disagree. But I take your point on the NZEB regulations. Again its great on paper, the OP has obviously a new house since 2019 and his experience is wide of the mark

No ordinary lay person in Finland has what irish people say to each other "have you a solicitor, have you an engineer" when buying a house - all expensive, time consuming, legalistic BS. Imagine the possibilities if you could sell and buy in 7 days.

Anyway, lets call it , have work to do keeping folks safe.

Last edited:
Sorry, I disagree.
What do you disagree with? Can you quote where I said our most modern homes are using gas space heating?

No ordinary lay person in Finland has what irish people say to each other "have you a solicitor, have you an engineer" when buying a house - all expensive, time consuming, legalistic BS. Imagine the possibilities if you could sell and buy in 7 days.
The system in Finland is different, sure, but not massively so in terms of responsibilities for the production of documentation, but I've yet to see any evidence that this translates to higher quality buildings. This report doesn't suggest they are putting us to shame, that prevalence of damp issues in such a dry climate doesn't scream quality.

Last edited:
Back