new build- council development charge and opting out of BCMS queries!

upthebanner21

if I am doing a self build, how quickly after I receive full planning am I eligible to pay the council residency fee, i think in Clare it's around 5000 euro. they say as soon as building commences, but if i decide to wait a year to start, do they not hassle you for the money?

if i opt out of the BCMS, can i still do the house with direct labour, paying an engineer to do site checks as it progresses. Planning to do a self build over 3 or 4 years with no mortgage.

In Wexford. You council fee is not paid here until you put in commencement notice and are ready to start. In fact you can opt to pay installments direct debit over an extended period of time if you apply to do so.
When you opt out of BCMS my understanding is you are then the contractor and yes you can do the house over a period of time with engineer signing off on each stage.
I had inspections doing the same. make sure you have engineer signing off each stage. Helpful to photograph each stage. saved me a lot of hazzle following inspections. enjoy.

thanks for all the information.
were the inspections from the council? and how many roughly did you get?
also, how many engineer visits did you end up getting, was it expensive?

sorry about all the questions, know nothing but trying to get an idea of what a new build will entail.

Inspection were by the council. One visit as far as I know. Came when half way up to wall plate.
e-mailed seeking proof (photo) of radon barrier and sump.Also pulled me up on mortar on wall ties.
I know the engineer and we will haggle over price in the end. I think he said he will be making a total of six visits. Up to me to supply certs in relation to stone (pyrite free) and cets in relation to airtightness etc.etc.

was it just one engineer that could sign off on all the stuff? structural engineer?
with regards to the certs and the airtightness, how did you get these certs?
how is your build getting on anyway, powering through?

No for example the arch. got an engineer to spec and sign off on steel supporting upper floor. I got cert from quarry to confirm all stone was pyrite free. A separate man will need to sign off on other items.
The Arch. will eventually organize certificate of compliance when fully finished.

Back