never paid stamp duty

patgar

in october 2004 i bought a property and the stamp duty came to E17,100.
Due to financial trouble i never got around to paying this bill.
I am now in a position to pay it. What would be the best way to approach this? will i be fined for late payment?

Yes, you will have to pay a penalty for late payment. Contact the Revenue Commissioners and they will calculate the amount due and send you details.

Personally I would deal with this outstanding liability by going via a tax advisor who might be able to advise on how to approach things so as to maximise your changes of mitigating any penalties etc.

thanks clubman...
do you mean my accountant or some other sort of tax advisor to deal with this?

Your accountant would be a good first port of call. If they cannot help then they can probably recommend somebody who can.

an accountant will help. However I woudl also recomend talking to a solicitor. While accountants calculate the stamp duty etc typically it is the solicitor who pays it over on your behalf. Solicitors will have more direct contact with the stamping office and might be better able to help you.

Was it not a problem for your solicitor at the time. Solicitors whop fail to pay over stamp duty within 28 days face huge penaties and problems with the law society.

This your problem is finding an accountant who is comfortable dealing with the stamping office or a solicitor who is willing to present a late filing of stamp duties.

Back