Neighbouring Garage Building Near Two Story Shed WIthout Permission

Rashers

Hi folks, am looking for a bit of advice or wisdom on this.

So, I have a carwash next door that does mechanical work etc. Now, given that this car wash tends to just piss water out onto the public foot path with clear effluent in it, you can see the shine of the chemicals off the water going into the public drain every single day - I doubt its got its permissions right.

I've had good relations with them, letting them cut back a tree so a sign could be visible for them etc and things have been decent with them letting me have access to re-render the gable wall of the house etc as it was cracking.

Then I arrive home one day to see they've put up joists across a shed neighbouring me. And are now erecting steel beams to build the supporting structure that looks to me to be about 5 metres high in the air. Just judging it on being well over twice the size of the garden fence on the other side.

I just went in and had it out with them, trying to remain civil of course. It's for a shed to work on vans in. They're talking about steel corrugated roof, and then blocking the wall on my side (out of what they say is to stop dust etc coming in across my garden!!!) None of this was discussed with me and they are saying its a temporary structure and their landlord has approved it. They also just drilled batons directly onto part of the gable to support a smaller shed seen to the left with zero permission asked and after I had extensive work done on it to secure it against damp and water egress.

Attached are views from my side where you can see the structure in the works and being extended out from an existing shed.

I know we have no right to light here and fair enough, but surely this is well out of order with zero thought given to neighbours?

The views here are from ground floor kitchen and then the last one is from the upstairs bathroom frosted window (so its nearly eye level with that window...)

image upload html

Any advice? I don't want to land in a war with these guys but I think this is probably really taking the piss.

Looks like you need to contact the Planning Department of your local Council first thing Tuesday morning and get them to pay a visit to the site. Your softly, softly approach and keeping 'in' with the neighbours looks to be taken advantage of and the guys are just doing what they want with no regard for you or your family.

Thanks for the response.

Im wondering if any one has an clarity on what amounts to a temporary structure as this is the argument they are making. I think its fairly horseshite given the size of what they are at and its intended use as a workshop.

Ive been trawling the net for some answers on it and what amounts to exempted development and as far as I can see it relates to domestic dwellings, not commercial uses.

Anyone??

This looks to me like a list of whats exempted.

8 What exemptions apply to me? The main commercial, business and industrial exemptions are: * the storage of raw materials, products, packing materials, fuel or waste within the boundaries of an industrial building provided that the stored material relates to the premises and is not visible from any adjacent public road; * the provision of a hard surface at an industrial premises to be used for a purpose related to the premises related to the premises and the provision, re-arrangement or maintenance of sewers, mains, pipes or cables; * carrying out work specified by a local authority to prevent water or air pollution or in a derelict site notice; * drilling or excavation to survey land or examine the depth and nature or the subsoil; * placing or maintenance of movable appliances, apparatus or structures on a public road (e.g a free standing menu board outside a restaurant) as long as they are licensed by the planning authority; * scaffolding, plant or machinery put on the land itself or on adjoining land where permitted development is taking place. This land must be re-instated when the development is completed;

Looks like you need to contact the Planning Department of your local Council first thing Tuesday morning and get them to pay a visit to the site. Your softly, softly approach and keeping 'in' with the neighbours looks to be taken advantage of and the guys are just doing what they want with no regard for you or your family.

+ 1 => only the planning dept. can clarify this for you.

Thanks for the advice on this folks. Submitted over the weekend. The property is zoned as "Z1 where the aim is “to protect, provide and improve residential amenities.”

For anyone else looking the council [broken link removed].

Sure let's see how it goes.

Judging by that, it would appear they are already in breach. Have you contacted the planning department?

No such thing a temp structure in this case.

Contact planning enforcement section.
Your details are confidential even under an FOI request and if it goes to court.

Back