Neighbour painting my property without permission

Discussion in 'Homes and gardens' started by S.L.F, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Odea

Odea Frequent Poster

I must be visualising the whole thing wrong. If the OP decides to construct a wall on his side of the garden boundary, lets say by about a few inches. Are you saying that the person on the other side of the property has no right to paint his side of the wall? Is he supposed to construct a new wall on the old boundary so that he can paint his side?

Does the new wall not create a new boundary or is the OP still claiming the couple of inches on the other side of the wall as his? Does he maintain these couple of inches?

2. Monbretia

Monbretia Frequent Poster

I imagine painting the capping is the problem, painting the other side of the wall on the neighbours side wouldn't bother me as I have my wall painted the colour I want on my side but as it's my wall then the capping on top must reflect my colour scheme and not my neighbours.

S.L.F likes this.
  3. MrEarl

MrEarl Frequent Poster

Hello,

Why don't you call in for a chat. Say that you appreciate that the neighbour went to the trouble of painting the wall but you don't like the colour and intend to paint it a different colour ? ... that will create a situation where you either get to change the colour with no further discussion, or you have opened the conversation up to discussing who owns the wall and who is responsible for it's future upkeep.

I appreciate that this is quite possibly going to result in you having to do some painting, but just look at that as an investment given you'd have to paint it sooner or later :)

4. Leper

Leper Frequent Poster

Another tuppence worth from Lep:- SLF got on well with his neighbour since the guy moved in. The painting caper seems to have raised some animosity (probably not the right word) between the two.

If the guy is a good neighbour and this is not costing SLF anything perhaps it is time to say nothing? A good neighbour is an invaluable asset.

postman pat likes this.
  5. Leo

Leo Moderator

From a purely legal standpoint, if the wall is entirely within your property, and not along the boundary, your neighbour is not entitled to paint 'his side', or interfere with the wall in any way. If the neighbour wishes, they may build their own wall, fully within their property, and paint that however they see fit. They may not build on the boundary without permission of both parties.

6. S.L.F

S.L.F Frequent Poster

Really?

So someone paints the front of your house lime green or pitch black and you'd be happy with it?

7. S.L.F

S.L.F Frequent Poster

The wall is completely on my side.

8. S.L.F

S.L.F Frequent Poster

He
    I didn't want my wall painted.

Sooner or later he will move and I'll be forced to keep up maintenance on the wall.

Is that too hard for people to grasp?

9. S.L.F

S.L.F Frequent Poster

I didn't have a problem with him painting the side which he sees, I have a problem with him painting the top of it.

10. Leo

Leo Moderator

Yep, so in this case they were completely in the wrong to paint any of this wall. You are fully entitled to ask them to rectify the situation, it's really a matter of how far you want to take it.

11. Monbretia

Monbretia Frequent Poster

I just figured out now it was obviously a totally unpainted wall beforehand. That is annoying because you will now have to keep up painting. Several of my neighbours have never painted their walls which is handy as obviously no maintenance, once you start you have to keep going.

S.L.F and G7979 like this.
  12. G7979

G7979 Frequent Poster

I think the fact that is was an unpainted wall and now it is painted and you have somehow ended up with a lifetime legacy of maintenance you hadn't counted on is irritating.

Rightly or wrongly the wall is now painted, whats done is done, so the only thing you can do is move forward.

First question is can you "unpaint" a wall. I have no idea on the answer to this, paint stripper perhaps? can it be powerhosed or sandblasted off and how big/expensive a job is it some one else will have to advise on that. Is this what you actually want and are you prepare to demand the neighbour put it right? as someone else pointed out good neighbours are the holy grail, and while the initial painting might indicate otherwise I doubt they did it knowing it would upset you.

The second part of this is - Is it a colour you can live with? If it isnt and it cant be removed then I would suggest you pick a colour you can live with and ask the neighbour to change it.

When you have the answers to the first part you can decide how you want to proceed and have the conversation with your neighbour about your expectations going forward to maintain the wall.

13. S.L.F

S.L.F Frequent Poster

I'd sooner it was left in it's natural state and it was just powerwashed off, then it will look clean

I am not difficult to get on with so long as people do not do things like take my possessions or interfere with my property.

Completely agree with you regarding good neighbours....but like many have said before, good fences make good neighbours...in this case an unpainted wall :)

I don't want it painted at all for the simple reason I don't want to paint it every two or so years.

I cannot talk to him for a reason I will not go into publicly (if you wish to PM me I'll explain why there).

I have made a complaint to the council and have requested they come out and sand blast the paint from my wall.

14. Leper

Leper Frequent Poster

Wow! . . . .and wow! again. It appears there's more to this than meets the eye.

15. becky

becky Frequent Poster

I don't see how that matters. The wall should not have been painted without a conversation.

If that happened maybe SLF would have said yes. Maybe he intended to paint it the exact colour. But he didn't.

I'd be annoyed too and to be honest, am surprised that posters think otherwise.

16. S.L.F

S.L.F Frequent Poster

That bridge was already crossed and his response has lead me to go to the Gardai and the council to complain about the threat made to me of physical violence if I touch "his" wall

The story is simple.

My wall was painted without my permission or consent.

Not sure which was this can be spun.

17. Leper

Leper Frequent Poster

Back in the 1970's I saw a play (by John B Keane, I think) called Crazy Wall. The plot may or may not have some relevance to the story here.

The painting neighbour has been reported to the GardaĆ­ because of a threat if SLF touches the wall. Was the threat real? Or were the words used the culmination of a neighbourly fallout? Those of us looking in cannot decide on the evidence here.

We don't know the full story between SLF and his neighbour. Whatever is happening, it ain't goin' to end well.

18. Odea

Odea Frequent Poster

I understand about the wall being on your property. I dislike the look of bare concrete block walls. I prefer them rendered. If it were me I would probably plant some sort of plant against my side of the wall to cover the bare look. Would you have objected to your neighbour doing this?

If it were me I would paint the capping part of the wall in a colour of my choosing and leave his side to do what he wants.

What is the length of the wall? A few hours of painting every 3 or 4 years should sort out the maintenance issue.

19. S.L.F

S.L.F Frequent Poster

He painted the top of the wall as well.

Honestly I didn't mind him painting the side which was viewable to him but I object strongly to him painting the top.

20. S.L.F

S.L.F Frequent Poster

The story is simple.

He painted my wall without permission.

A trip to Land Registry is needed.