Neighbour car parking

johnmurch

There is a rented house on our street and one of the occupants parks his car on the street. The car is a commercial vehicle painted in the gaudiest colours imaginable. It's an incredible eye sore and parks directly outside our house. Is there anything at all we can do about it? I imagine not...
Secondly, the rented house is not well kept and the unweeded driveway is an eyesore with a rotting garage door, and an overflowing skip bag. Again, is there anything we can do about it, other than asking the landlord to do something? Are they obliged to maintain the property to any standard?

parks directly outside our house

Park your car there for a few weeks and give them the subtle message. It presumably is a public road so not much else you can do about it.

How will you find out who the landlord is? The skip bag is probably the only thing that you might have some control over with the landlord but if it is in the garden then probably not.

Park your car there for a few weeks and give them the subtle message. It presumably is a public road so not much else you can do about it.

How will you find out who the landlord is? The skip bag is probably the only thing that you might have some control over with the landlord but if it is in the garden then probably not.
If the skip bag is there for an extended time it can be reported to the local litter warden.

You may find details of the landlord via land direct

Presumably it's being parked on a public road, which means you can't do anything, unless, the road tax is out of date. Complaining to An Garda then becomes an option. Apart, of course, from asking the driver not to park in front of your house.

If the CVRT, road tax and insurance discs are all on display and current and the vehicle is otherwise parked lawfully on a public road there is nothing that can be done.

If you are going to check these discs do so discreetly. You do not want any comeback to you as a complainant if someone else happens to report it.

I would most definitely not approach the driver to ask for it to be parked elsewhere. There is no legal right exclusive to you to park outside your own home on a public road so any such request would be devoid of legal substance. Also, these days, you just do not who or what you are dealing with or what reaction you might get.

Why does he park outside YOUR house? Is there pressure on parking spaces? Sometimes, people just get used to parking in a particular spot and come to see it as "theirs." Which it isn't of course. Make a point of parking there yourself. Borrow a trailer from a friend and park it in the spot for a few weeks. That'll train him to find another space.

I live on a residential road with no parking controls. It is near a group of shops and a QBC. Some were parking outside the shops and going to work on the bus, meaning the shops were losing out as shoppers could not park. The shops then introduced 1 hour free parking with no option to pay for more, those overstaying were clamped. The result is more shop parking, more shoppers and increased turnover, but the commuters and shop staff now park on nearby public roads like ours.

I would rather they did not park outside my house, but accept it is a public road and they are entitled to do so. I have a driveway that can take 2 - 3 cars, so do my neighbours so I don’t consider it a big issue. I am puzzled as to why some residents persistently get themselves so worked up confronting those parking, particularly as they are usually told where to go, and some even then make a point of deliberately parking outside that house.

Life is too short to be getting so stressed out about this type of issue, especially when there is sfa you can do about it.

Why does he park outside YOUR house? Is there pressure on parking spaces? Sometimes, people just get used to parking in a particular spot and come to see it as "theirs." Which it isn't of course. Make a point of parking there yourself. Borrow a trailer from a friend and park it in the spot for a few weeks. That'll train him to find another space.
what difference does it make why, just because its outside someones house doesnt confer any ownership to the house owner, its not their property.

I once had next door neighbours who were a 3 car family. (We were a two car family.) We each had a driveway that could almost but not quite take two cars. There was one space in front of each house. So four spaces in total. They developed a strategy whereby the first of them to come home parked in front of my house, the second in front of their house and the third in their driveway. The first was often their teenage daughter who didn't use the car that much and regularly left it parked for days on end in front of us. Now this wasn't illegal of course, but it was decidedly unfriendly and unneighbourly. I asked nicely if they could see their way to a more reasonable arrangement. They couldn't. So when we were going on holiday one year, I borrowed my brother's trailer, attached it to my car and parked it outside the two houses for two weeks.

Point made, and their behaviour changed afterwards.

I once had next door neighbours who were a 3 car family. (We were a two car family.) We each had a driveway that could almost but not quite take two cars. There was one space in front of each house. So four spaces in total. They developed a strategy whereby the first of them to come home parked in front of my house, the second in front of their house and the third in their driveway. The first was often their teenage daughter who didn't use the car that much and regularly left it parked for days on end in front of us. Now this wasn't illegal of course, but it was decidedly unfriendly and unneighbourly. I asked nicely if they could see their way to a more reasonable arrangement. They couldn't. So when we were going on holiday one year, I borrowed my brother's trailer, attached it to my car and parked it outside the two houses for two weeks.

Good to see you have decent neighbours, many's the car and trailer in that scenario would never be seen again.

When you say in front of your house were they blocking you in or just parking legally on public space that happened to be in front of your house ?

When you say in front of your house were they blocking you in or just parking legally on public space that happened to be in front of your house ?
No, not blocking me in. But choosing as a deliberate strategy to park in front of my house rather than in front of their own. Like I said, perfectly legal, but un-neighbourly.

No, not blocking me in. But choosing as a deliberate strategy to park in front of my house rather than in front of their own. Like I said, perfectly legal, but un-neighbourly.
In your opinion , if it’s not on your property they or anyone else are perfectly entitled to park there, might be annoying but it’s public property.

People seem to get quite territorial about the space in front of their house. Growing up, our neighbour used to get their visitors to park in front of our house instead of theirs. I never understood why she did that, or why it wound my mum up so much.
We leave the space in front of our house for others and park across our gate to leave more spaces for everyone. Life is short, seems like people would benefit from trying to focus on bigger issues. I can't fathom how it matters that much.

We leave the space in front of our house for others and park across our gate to leave more spaces for everyone. Life is short, seems like people would benefit from trying to focus on bigger issues.

Sometimes great in theory.

We had a neighbour some years ago who, as the fella says, would park a car in your ear. Had cars parked all over our estate through his hoarding. Our immediate next door neighbour had one of this guy's cars parked there for 3 to 4 years. When the authorities eventually got him to move it the dirt was a good few inches deep and hardened. He made no attempt whatsoever to clear it away. It was left to the wind and rain to do that :mad:

I can't fathom how it matters that much.

Probably akin to The Field, even though its not their property in this matter :)

Back